OPENS IN 2 minutes!! (Well, so Ports Toronto now says!)

Toronto (September 3, 2024) –

The Ship Channel Bridge (Cherry St. Bridge) roadway will be open to vehicle, bicycle and pedestrian traffic between 3:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 3 and 12:00 p.m. Thursday, September 5.

There has been another of the endless revisions to the repair schedule as crews proceed with ongoing critical repairs. As a result, the bridge will be closed between 12:00 p.m. Thursday, September 5 and 3:00 p.m., Friday September 6. It will reopen at 3:00 p.m. Friday, September 6 and is expected to remain open until 12:00 p.m. Tuesday, September 17, with a brief overnight closure on Tuesday, September 10.

Fixed their text to better reflect reality.

I have an acquaintance who runs and arborist service from a yard south of the bridge. The whole summer was a nightmare for him with the closure, resulting traffic on Unwin, and the closure of the Unwin bridge for a while as well.

I have an acquaintance who runs and arborist service from a yard south of the bridge. The whole summer was a nightmare for him with the closure, resulting traffic on Unwin, and the closure of the Unwin bridge for a while as well.
Yes, prefect example of why one should do 'routine maintenance' routinely. PortsToronto had planned all this work to start in late Fall (when the Ship Channel is not used and road traffic is lighter) - too late!

Last edited:
Here's the official notice about the removal of the Enbridge Gas bridge

1725450970754.png

A little birdie whispered to me that an amazing public art piece is coming to the top of this beautiful façade in September!

View attachment 592093
I feel like they should/should’ve cut a temporary roadway to old Cherry from new Cherry right after the red bridge. I can only imagine the drop in business for the pub, the bbq and Batl since the lift bridge was removed.

I feel like they should/should’ve cut a temporary roadway to old Cherry from new Cherry right after the red bridge. I can only imagine the drop in business for the pub, the bbq and Batl since the lift bridge was removed.
According to WT website there eventually will be road (extension of Villiers) to New Cherry but I assume it will be built as the blocks on east side of New Cherry are developed. A temporary road seems an unnecessary expense to me.

1725462642181.png

I was also down here and can only add two things. The first is that the block bounded by Cherry, Commissioners, Old Cherry is being aggressively graded. The second thing is that the poles mentioned above are actually for the hi-line. Taken 4 September.

IMG_7930.jpeg

IMG_7932.jpeg
IMG_7933.jpeg
IMG_7935.jpeg
IMG_7942.jpeg

Last edited:
I was also down here and can only add two things. The first is that the block bounded by Cherry, Commissioners, Old Cherry is being aggressively graded. The second thing is that the poles mentioned above are actually for the hi-line. Taken 4 September.

View attachment 593784

View attachment 593785View attachment 593786View attachment 593787View attachment 593788
The grading of the Cherry, Commissioners, Old Cherry block has been going on for several weeks - they were at it one Friday evening about 9pm. Looks done to me. They have almost almost finished tidying up the blocks on east and west sides of New Cherry between Lake Shore and the Keating channel; most of their spare parts and 'junk' and earth has gone from both these lots.

Back