with this location and the views?
I am sure it will be snapped for development sooner rather than later.
Personally, I wouldn't mind an iconic supertall here, something to look at ..and look from..
I know.. the flight cone issue, nevertheless..

That’s one bad thing about where the airport is located. The city can’t really expand its heights elsewhere. Until they finally find a better spot for it.

As if this small area is the only place the city can "expand its heights".

Cadillac Fairview could put an observation area on the tallest in East Harbour.

Agree that the site will eventally be redeveloped, but I do like the potential juxtapositions, like at Sugar Beach.

Agreed, though.....if you want to maximize the new Don River channel for wildlife, any large ships docking are a problem.

The noise pollution in particular.

It's the same issue discussed on the west coast where the noise of propellers/motors underwater can be extremely loud, and disturb the local marine life, there impeding the whales.

That won't be our issue here......but the problem is still similar for smaller creatures.

This from the Investment, Real Estate and Quayside Committee Meeting April 16, 2020

 On Friday April 3rd, the Province has expanded the list of non-essential businesses which were required to close as of April 5th. We have reviewed and determined that the Port Lands Flood Protection (PLFP), Cherry Street Stormwater Treatment Facility (CSSTF) and Bayside Phase 2 roads and services projects are essential infrastructure projects and as such will remain active unless new direction is provided by government.
 Management has determined that the following pending projects are not essential pursuant to the Provincial Emergency Order. These projects are not currently under construction and will not proceed into construction until the Provincial Order has been rescinded.
 Bonnycastle public realm completion
 Lake Shore Blvd pilot project at Monde Condominiums
 East Bayfront In-water Storm Sewer Pipe
 Bentway Phase 2 Projects
 Waterfront Reconnect (Gardiner Expwy bent painting)

Some images from today of the "Sediment and Debris Management Area". The new path is being constructed along the line of trees at the north side if the clearing.

fullsizeoutput_1a2e.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1a2d.jpeg

Some pictures from today near the Don Roadway and Villiers St.

fullsizeoutput_1a2f.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1a30.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1a31.jpeg

IMG_20200418_175012.jpg

Have they started demolishing these oil storage tanks? Or is this one just falling apart? From today.

fullsizeoutput_1a36.jpeg

IMG_20200418_175941.jpg

Walking north on Cherry St. From today.

fullsizeoutput_1a33.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1a34.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1a37.jpeg

I think it will go, sooner or later, as the area south of it (which is quite industrial) changes
If i'm not mistaken the city has begun scheduling hearings for the fall with the adjacent industrial land owners to assess future rezoning and permissible uses (as it's in their interest to get their industrial out), and among the most significant issues is Lafarge's refusal to relocate the cement plant due to the amount of noise, dust and truck traffic it produces. Waterfront Toronto even tried offering them a similar site in the shipping channel and Lafarge declined. Right now this is a linchpin issue affecting the future of what everything south of Polson Quay will look like for the next 10-15 years.

If i'm not mistaken the city has begun scheduling hearings for the fall with the adjacent industrial land owners to assess future rezoning and permissible uses (as it's in their interest to get their industrial out), and among the most significant issues is Lafarge's refusal to relocate the cement plant due to the amount of noise, dust and truck traffic it produces. Waterfront Toronto even tried offering them a similar site in the shipping channel and Lafarge declined. Right now this is a linchpin issue affecting the future of what everything south of Polson Quay will look like for the next 10-15 years.

One wonders why there is lack of cooperation from Lafarge, as they are doing quite well in Canada. Lafarge is a member of Global Group Lafarge Holcim and the Group recorded record net income and free cash flow for 2019 as reported at its AGM in February 2019. Sustainability is a pillar of any organization these days, so it appears that it is not money that is holding up cooperation. You have to ask how much Lafarge has benefited from the construction boom in the GTA over the years. It's certainly not unreasonable to expect reasonable goodwill in return.

I took a (socially distanced) bike ride all around the Portlands a few weekends ago (the last time the weather wasn't awful; come on, spring), including all around the turning basin and ship channel, and I was stunned by the amount of truck traffic that the cement plant generates -- at least when I was there, it was far exceeding any traffic related to the flood protection and stormwater management work ongoing in the area.

I get that there are significant financial interests at play and that Lafarge has been here a long time, but its presence strikes me as a genuine inhibitor to the realization of the long-term goal for the Portlands writ large. I can't see a scenario in which the vision is compatible with Lafarge staying put.

I took a (socially distanced) bike ride all around the Portlands a few weekends ago (the last time the weather wasn't awful; come on, spring), including all around the turning basin and ship channel, and I was stunned by the amount of truck traffic that the cement plant generates -- at least when I was there, it was far exceeding any traffic related to the flood protection and stormwater management work ongoing in the area.

I get that there are significant financial interests at play and that Lafarge has been here a long time, but its presence strikes me as a genuine inhibitor to the realization of the long-term goal for the Portlands writ large. I can't see a scenario in which the vision is compatible with Lafarge staying put.

The government has means to compel the move; it may be that that's what Lafarge wants, as it may mean a higher pay out.

Not cool, if that's the case.

But the only motive that makes sense is money.

Yep... they were there first. Of course they'll want a big payout to move. But for decades, no one particularly cared about what happened - or didn't happen - in the portlands. That era is drawing to a close.

The cement plant is one thing, but also a significant portion of the truck traffic on Commissioner is being generated by all the work they're doing with the naturalization of the Don.

Back