Getting ready for paving.

PXL_20220821_224015091.jpg
PXL_20220821_224218978.PANO.jpg

Are those really gonna be the streetlights for Villiers Island? Or are they just temporary?
I was hoping for much better.
They appear to be standard City of Toronto (THSL) streetlights. I assume that, if there is park lighting (as I assume there will be), it will be more appropriate. There is a rationale for having all lighting on a street the same - though I too wish that the City standard (or, more accurately, the THSL standard) were better!

They appear to be standard City of Toronto (THSL) streetlights. I assume that, if there is park lighting (as I assume there will be), it will be more appropriate. There is a rationale for having all lighting on a street the same - though I too wish that the City standard (or, more accurately, the THSL standard) were better!

This street lighting is inappropriate, I don't recall seeing it in the streetscape renders that went before the DRP........but perhaps I missed it.

This street lighting is inappropriate, I don't recall seeing it in the streetscape renders that went before the DRP........but perhaps I missed it.
I fully agree. They look even worse next to the beautiful bridges. These ones were shown to the DRP but Toronto Hydro must've changed plans. Still pretty bad...

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 4.28.20 PM.png

It's also very odd that utilitarian street lights will be used for the park. Why would they ever do that?

I fully agree. They look even worse next to the beautiful bridges. These ones were shown to the DRP but Toronto Hydro must've changed plans. Still pretty bad...

View attachment 422123

It's also very odd that utilitarian street lights will be used for the park. Why would they ever do that?
If the DRP was shown something that is not being installed I suggest you email Waterfront Toronto and ask them what is going on. It is POSSIBLE that they are not the final lights but just ones that THSL have in stock - there are many 'supply chain issues" at present and any special designs may be back-logged. (Yes, ever the optimist!!)

To me, the definitive waterfront park lighting in Toronto is the fixture used in the eastern beaches, which is also 'dark skies' friendly.

1661290556333.png

A newer version would obviously be LED; and one could play w/the colour if desired; a deeper blue, perhaps? But I think it's handsome, functional, and can excel from an ecological perspective.

On the subject of road lighting, we could obviously choose to extend the West 8 design for Queen's Quay here; but I also wouldn't be opposed to any number of other choices, including a road-sized version of that Eastern Beaches fixture, maybe in jet black, or possibly, if it doesn't come off too garish, the pop'in red from the area bridges.

Last edited:
If the DRP was shown something that is not being installed I suggest you email Waterfront Toronto and ask them what is going on. It is POSSIBLE that they are not the final lights but just ones that THSL have in stock - there are many 'supply chain issues" at present and any special designs may be back-logged. (Yes, ever the optimist!!)
...because outside of that explanation, they're would be clearly value engineering things down. /sigh

Back