Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 7.45.08 AM.png

What exists today for the Villiers area that requires anything??

Once development starts to take place, everything to support the area will be needed.

As East Bayfront develops more, there is need for more retail of all types to support the area as noted so far, including a second grocery store.
A new grocery store will open next month in the Canary District. https://www.marcheleos.com/location

Do we call it Cherry or New Cherry or Cherry 2.0?
We (and WT and the City) have always called the new street Cherry Street and this will not change - it is the normal practice if a street is 're-routed'. On UT we have called the section of current Cherry that is being replaced "Old Cherry". I have no doubt that the City will rename this section of road - it will continue to exist as a link street running between Commissioners and Villiers.

We (and WT and the City) have always called the new street Cherry Street and this will not change - it is the normal practice if a street is 're-routed'. On UT we have called the section of current Cherry that is being replaced "Old Cherry". I have no doubt that the City will rename this section of road - it will continue to exist as a link street running between Commissioners and Villiers.
I’d prefer if they keep it Old Cherry to show how the area evolved over time, how they were able to repair a past urban planning mistake.

I’d prefer if they keep it Old Cherry as a reminder of how they repaired a past urban planning mistake.
I have no problem with Old Cherry but why do you say they 'repaired a past urban planning mistake'. The street could never have gone straight south at LakeShore while there were wharfs in use in that area.

Putting wharfs in that location was the mistake in the first place, particularly cutting off a major river and contributing to flooding.

Putting wharfs in that location was the mistake in the first place, particularly cutting off a major river and contributing to flooding.
It's not as simple as that. The area south of Lake Shore in that area was a swamp and was landfilled for health reasons and to provide additional wharf space for what was, in the 1890s, a very busy port.

1704915101098.png

Should the river have been allowed to flow straight to Lake - probably but ....

EDIT:

Just noticed the handwritten annotation - Villiers Street was named by (after) Mr SaNKEY.

‘The post of City Surveyor, left vacant in 1854 by the resignation of Mr. Howard, was not filled until Dec. 24th, 1888, when Mr. [Matthew] Villiers Sankey received the appointment. Mr. Sankey was born at Brookeboro, County Fermanagh, Ireland, Oct. 3rd, 1854: educated at Portora Royal School, Enniskillen, and in 1872 passed his examinations for the India Civil Service."

Last edited:
Unfortunately, the opening of the bridges has been pushed back to the end of the month, based on the latest e-mail from my contact at WT.

"For a variety of reasons, the roads aren’t quite ready to open. We’re pushing really hard to get there. The new date is about two to three weeks from now. We’ll send out a construction notice once the date is firm, and I would be happy to forward that on to you if you don’t already receive them."
Are they planting on the transit side?

IMG_2253.jpeg

Facebook reminded me of this today. Did they adequately relocate her and if so, where?
View attachment 532421
She (or someone) has been on Villiers Street at the Don Roadway but no idea if she/they will be relocated again - Villiers will shortly be .excavated at her current location. The photo above is similar to the Streetview one below (2020) which is the Villiers site.
1704923730771.png

Back