Ice on Keating is rarely very thick; there's a lot of water coming in from major sewers and off road surfaces that get warm. I would not advise anyone going out on that ice if they don't want to swim in some highly suspect, and still cold, water.
Ice or no ice or thin Ice is no matter, just speed. You Tube Universe is full of snow machines racing on and off ( and on) water, but yes, you would not want to dunk and swallow.

Jan 18
Since it was enjoyable day compared to the past week and the last night for a car until later this year, decided to checkout a few things after a doctor visited in the afternoon as well get shots of them along from places that will start to disappear starting Jan 23rd and the coming weeks and months.

Had to check the Commissioner St nighttime shot when I got home as I saw something different than I did on Sunday. Traffic lights have been installed this week on Commissioner St at the Don Roadway intersection that will not be turn on until the road is build and ready to open in 2025.

Try to get some more shots of the Commissioner bridges off Villiers, but crews did not allow anyone into the area as they were moving earth from the south side of Villiers to an area off Commissioner east of the bridge. They were still at it after I left the area at 7:30 pm. I guess they are trying to catch up on work that could not take place this past week or get ahead of the game.

The lights on the LRT bridge are not working like they were on Sunday, but on for the road bridge.

Noticed the South Cherry St bridge is tag. They have yet to install the lighting system on that bridge.

Most of the tarps were gone for the Cherry St north-east corner with some still in place. Some work was taking place on the New Cherry Rd north of the Keating Channel and saw very few personnel around for the area.

Milling machines are being used to remove the earth for the new westbound Lake Shore lanes and it is the 2nd time I have seen this. There are two on site.

The Railway bridge over the Don is history as it has been cut up into small sections. Looks like the first long beam for the new pedestrian/cycles bridge has been installed on new footing to the west of the old Don location.

A new concrete beam with a lot of ducting in it has been placed into position on the north side of the pedestrian/cycles bridge over the Don.

Asphalt has been removed from the old westbound bridge and nothing else.

Watch a batch of Clueless drivers who refused to obey the yellow box on the Lake Shore for going east to the point 18 wheelers could not make that right hand turn off the DVP ramp until they got out of their way. Happen far offend than enough for drivers being in that box well I was there. Then the drivers who made that illegal left turn onto the DVP ramp and hell with the hocking from all directions along backing up traffic since they did not care.

Photos to follow.

Ice on Keating is rarely very thick; there's a lot of water coming in from major sewers and off road surfaces that get warm. I would not advise anyone going out on that ice if they don't want to swim in some highly suspect, and still cold, water.
A photo I took on January 29, 2016 from the Cherry St. lift bridge looking east along Keating Channel adjacent to the Keating Channel Pub & Grill. I remember hearing the ice crackle ... it was -30ish ...
2024-01-18_11-08-21.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks as always drum118. Nice post, as it is 1/18 today. :p

I just came back from that area around 10:30 tonight. Saw same clueless drivers doing what you described.

Also saw a driver drive up onto the sidewalk across the cycle path and down over the curb back on to the road from westbound Lake Shore to northbound Cherry.

Then watched two drivers drive up the streetcar ROW on Cherry in the Distillery District, while streetcars passed them going the other way.

Then at River and Gerrard watched a car go sailing right through a full red light with the other light green for about 5 seconds already. But this time he did so right in front of a cop. Cop immediately pulled him over. It was some very, very sweet instant karma.

The scary thing with all these drivers is they don't even look like they're trying to do anything intentionally bad, they just literally look totally cluelessly. To me that's even worse.

I just came back from that area around 10:30 tonight. Saw same clueless drivers doing what you described.

Also saw a driver drive up onto the sidewalk across the cycle path and down over the curb back on to the road from westbound Lake Shore to northbound Cherry.

Then watched two drivers drive up the streetcar ROW on Cherry in the Distillery District, while streetcars passed them going the other way.

Then at River and Gerrard watched a car go sailing right through a full red light with the other light green for about 5 seconds already. But this time he did so right in front of a cop. Cop immediately pulled him over. It was some very, very sweet instant karma.

The scary thing with all these drivers is they don't even look like they're trying to do anything intentionally bad, they just literally look totally cluelessly. To me that's even worse.
Alll geee,,,,,, have wait another year for that to happen again. Never thought of that when posting. 😍

Once this thing opens, look out for a lot more clueless things.

Based on what I have seen to date, TTC 72 and Cherry Beach buses will stop just north of Lake Shore where the concrete pad was pour and just south of Commissioner St where another concrete pad is.

Couple of years ago, saw a chap skate by Poison Pier with a tripod and then set himself up to do some shooting of the city from there. Have a photo of him skating and shooting. No idea how thick the ice gets in that area will never fine me doing that regardless of getting shots.

Also saw a driver drive up onto the sidewalk across the cycle path and down over the curb back on to the road from westbound Lakeshore to northbound Cherry.

I can just imagine the traffic on weekend nights heading to and from Rebel nightclub. On current Cherry St. it's always a see of red and white from my viewpoint.

Jan 18
More up on my site

These traffic lights were installed at Commissioner and Don Roadway
53474605966_a5cf298405_b.jpg

Sidewalk/Path?? not completed
53473699782_5f954530ac_b.jpg

53474919549_098d3af938_b.jpg

53474746693_ea421c7780_b.jpg

53475025995_a479a6c6e8_b.jpg

Expect to see a lot of rework and things finished in the spring
53473699587_8853438b72_b.jpg

Hummm!!!🥸
53474605631_716daa9003_b.jpg

53474605546_478f54aa5f_b.jpg

Jan 18
More up on my site
The existing westbound bridge still in place less the asphalt
53475098385_05113ea502_b.jpg

53474992949_e04997dabf_b.jpg

53474678951_28301f3a72_b.jpg

The RR bridge has been cutup into scrap
53474992944_2a6d71ec2d_b.jpg

Looks like 3-4 beams will support the Path/Walkway/Cycles Trails Bridge
53473772137_95ab7533a5_b.jpg

53474993244_1ac08c0c1d_b.jpg

Last edited:
To be expected ... unfortunately.
The good thing, they will not be turn on until the roads are there in 2025.

The Don Roadway will speed access to/from the area to/from the DVP and the Lake Shore that will reduce traffic on the New Cherry St

You can also make note of Nov. 8, celebrate your handle twice a year
Never thought of it and it took me a few minutes to figure it out if the date is used as 11/8/???? or ????/11/8.

Approaching the orange bridge from the east on Commissioner is really quite dramatic. The bridge sits elevated above the road approaching it.

Back