Car into the Keating Channel early this morning about 10 fire trucks and 15 police cars all along Lake Shore.

Ladders and ropes into the water.

Emergency workers everywhere.

Radio just reporting it as 'road closure' right now, but we'll surely hear more today. :(

Car into the Keating Channel early this morning about 10 fire trucks and 15 police cars all along Lake Shore.

Radio just reporting it as 'road closure' right now, but we'll surely hear more today. :(

Something similar happened in Port Colborne this week.

1000006623.jpg

...one can only to have a tiny slither of hope that the occupant will be rescued and alright under those conditions.

Car into the Keating Channel early this morning about 10 fire trucks and 15 police cars all along Lakeshore.

Watching it all unfold, vehicle soon to be hoisted up.

Reactions: PL1
I witnessed the crash as it happened. Here's a picture a few seconds right after the car went under.

Yikes. That's unbelievable you captured the moment it crashed through the ice.

You can see the air exiting the vehicle as it slips below the water.

How did they crash through the barrier I wonder and why? Drunk driver? Medical condition? Speed?

How did they crash through the barrier I wonder and why? Drunk driver? Medical condition? Speed?

I was looking at the other way and then heard a tire screech, and when I looked around all I saw was the car "flying" into the river. I would say the car was fast but probably not speeding.

I was there only to enjoy the sight of the frozen river under the new Cherry Bridge, and then this happened... What a morning...

So tragic. I’m sorry you had to experience that in person.

Took me a moment to realize, ah yes- the road is right there, they can hoist out from there. But I suppose there’s no more access to that part of the Keating channel for larger/taller boats now right? Not even once they dig/flood the other section.

No more Keating dredging

I just can't figure out how a car smashes through a metal barrier that easily.
Pure speculation... Looking at the damage at the back of the car, maybe another car hit it from behind and then lost control? Still doesn't explain your question though.
Screenshot_20240120_135838_Opera.jpg

Last edited:

Back