Yes, I think your dates are probably about right, there are at least some discussions on bringing a streetcar line along Commissioners to Leslie but there is total silence about anything going south of Commissioners - in addition to the south Cherry Bridge, any streetcar would also need to cross the Ship Channel. I strongly doubt it will ever happen.
Then there is the need to have a Broadview extension to service East Harbour that is to connect to the Commissioner line. You could build the Commissioner line as far as the new Broadview line with a setup for the line to go east at a future date.

It all boils down to funding and having transit first. When most of these lines are built, a lot of the board will be gone and never get the chance to ride any of it.

As for the line for South Cherry St, never like it been loop there as plan and prefer to see it go over the shipping channel to service Cherry Beach considering there was to have been an LRT line on Unwin to Leslie and up Leslie. The line was approved under the master plan and got removed by the city somewhere around 10 years ago as they say it beyond the 50-year time frame to have it built. With the removal of Unwin line, the Cherry St loop would be on the northside of the shipping channel.

What was being proposed for the shipping turning area that will support the Commissioner line has gone MIA.

^^^ Is that the before or after picture?
Definitely after! I imagine that's all due to the heavy construction traffic between Saulter and the new Don Roadway. The goal isn't to have pristine pavement, but to remove rocks and large clods of dirt, broken bits of metal, branches, and so on. Same thing happened on Villiers, but it was even worse there before sweeping.

0207-144346.mp4_snapshot_00.14.560.jpg

Would it not be easier to have someone at the construction site spraying the dirt off the trucks wheels BEFORE they drive out on to the road and spread the mud and dirt everywhere? Seems like an easier solution.

Would it not be easier to have someone at the construction site spraying the dirt off the trucks wheels BEFORE they drive out on to the road and spread the mud and dirt everywhere? Seems like an easier solution.
Of course it would be, and is sometimes done (or they create a bed of large gravel/small rocks that knocks off the worst of it). In the photo above, part of the problem is that they are actually working and excavation right beside the bike track but as we know around here (!!) there was lots of pressure on to "OPEN THE STREETS" and I think on balance it is best to have opened (if not perfectly scrubbed) streets than further waiting and delay.

For those interesting in consuming fish caught in Toronto waters, and the relative rates of contamination, a more fulsome page on that can be found here:

The number of yellows and reds (caution or avoid eating entirely) are indicative of much progress still to be made.

Though its worth saying, that this is tracking in the right direction, on that point there is no question.

When it shows green for Carp, finding food for the table will become really easy. The carp hanging around the carp gates can be caught with a hand held net.

I have a question about the ‘islands’ surrounding the piers of the bridges. Are they meant to be submerged? Will they
be accessible? Sunbathing? Only meant for turtles?

1707587219213.jpeg

Back