I used to work at the Science Centre helping with the new displays and exhibits.

We'd track how many people use which exhibits and we learned something right away...

People always gravitated towards exhibits about THEMSELVES more than an exhibit about something else.

No matter how fantastical the something else was.

Here's an actual example...

We'd spend thousands of dollars on an exhibit about the power of black holes.

Then beside it we'd have a $30 scale we bought at Eaton's (which was around back then) that we'd tweaked and we put a sign over it that said, "HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH ON THE MOON."

100x more people lined up to stand on the scale then went over to the black hole exhibit.

That's why you still see all the silly mirrors, or how fast can you pedal to light up a light bulb, or can you squeeze this lever etc... exhibits from the 1960s if you go there today.
Interesting anecdote...not sure how this debunks enriching play opportunities or learning is fun though. It's just tells us that some exhibit where/are/will be more attractive than others, peeps will still learn something though. /shrug

Smell ya later Villiers! These guys are working non-stop to connect the Don River to our new pond.

Screenshot 2024-02-10 at 9.35.34 AM.jpg
Hopefully they put in the request to move those hydro poles in a long long time ago or this plug isn't going to be removed any time soon. I'm surprised this wasn't moved already to be prepared for this eventuality.

Interesting anecdote...not sure how this debunks enriching play opportunities or learning is fun though. It's just tells us that some exhibit where/are/will be more attractive than others, peeps will still learn something though. /shrug

what i'm getting from this is, the new river park play area needs an exhibit called HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH IN A BLACK HOLE and it's just one of those machines that crushes cars into little cubes

I got a very prompt response from WT. To my question about what is planned for the lrt path they said that it has already been seeded with low-maintenance grasses and to expect it to sprout when Spring arrives.

And to a timeline for the Lassonde Art Trail they said that it is in foundations hands and 2026 is the date that everyone is working towards. They now have a website.

what i'm getting from this is, the new river park play area needs an exhibit called HOW MUCH YOU WEIGH IN A BLACK HOLE and it's just one of those machines that crushes cars into little cubes
I can understand that our flying racoon-that-was friend wouldn't be happy with that... 😼

More progress on the playground area beside the fire hall. Someone at Cherry Street BBQ said that their business tripled last weekend from a normal February with folks coming to see the bridges!

And a shoutout to Traynor who I bumped into on Cherry Street!

Photos taken 14 February.

IMG_7131.jpeg
IMG_7132.jpeg
IMG_7127.jpeg
IMG_7128.jpeg
IMG_7128.jpeg
IMG_7129.jpeg
IMG_7130.jpeg
IMG_7133.jpeg
IMG_7125.jpeg

The Waterfront TO rep mentioned that the island is 'temporarily known as Villiers Island". This is the first I've heard of that name not being permanent, did I miss something?
A decision has not been made (by Council) and the temporary name may well become the permanent one - though I would not be surprised to see an indigenous name selected.

I asked WT about the introduction of fish into the new river as well as a staggered/ early opening of finished sections of the parks. Fish can’t access the new section yet due to the plugs but will come in the spring. And all of the parks will open as stated in 2025.

I asked WT about the introduction of fish into the new river as well as a staggered/ early opening of finished sections of the parks. Fish can’t access the new section yet due to the plugs but will come in the spring. And all of the parks will open as stated in 2025.
Were you expecting flying fish?

1708037305653.png

Back