I'm not against getting ahead somewhat. But this project seemed well ahead of schedule. I guess as someone who has sleep issues I wouldn't be cavalier with other people's.

It's not being cavalier. Pretty crazy place to live if you have sleep issues or problems with noise. Maybe they should have considered that before moving next to a busy highway in a busy downtown neighbourhood.

It's not being cavalier. Pretty crazy place to live if you have sleep issues or problems with noise. Maybe they should have considered that before moving next to a busy highway in a busy downtown neighbourhood.
I think we should consider the noise level of downtown compared to the demolition of the ramp - they are no where near the same. I doubt any of us would expect non emergency work to proceed around the clock right in front of our houses/condos/apartments regardless of where we are in the City. I dont think when they moved downtown they would have expected the City to toss all sense out and have heavy work completed in the middle of the night - it's unheard of. If these people were complaining about 7am to 11pm work then I would agree and they wouldnt get any sympathy from me.

The argument about them picking a location beside a highway means they should deal with anything - including no sleep - is a little crazy.

I think we should consider the noise level of downtown compared to the demolition of the ramp - they are no where near the same. I doubt any of us would expect non emergency work to proceed around the clock right in front of our houses/condos/apartments regardless of where we are in the City. I dont think when they moved downtown they would have expected the City to toss all sense out and have heavy work completed in the middle of the night - its unheard of. If these people were complaining about 7am to 11pm work then I would agree and they wouldnt get any sympathy from me.

The argument about them picking a location beside a highway means they should deal with anything - including no sleep - is a little crazy.

It's funny that the very same people on this forum who argue for increased density to make better use of space, be more efficient, and have fewer people overwhelming our roads and public transit, are the same people who turn right around and say that people living downtown should expect absolutely zero comfort or basic right to peaceful enjoyment of their property, and should go move to the suburbs.

It's funny that the very same people on this forum who argue for increased density to make better use of space, be more efficient, and have fewer people overwhelming our roads and public transit, are the same people who turn right around and say that people living downtown should expect absolutely zero comfort or basic right to peaceful enjoyment of their property, and should go move to the suburbs.

It's a balance - no one is suggesting that we should have public works running 24/7/365 because that's what urban living demands - but in this instance, the quicker the work gets done for this one particular project, the better off everyone is.

AoD

I think we should consider the noise level of downtown compared to the demolition of the ramp - they are no where near the same. I doubt any of us would expect non emergency work to proceed around the clock right in front of our houses/condos/apartments regardless of where we are in the City. I dont think when they moved downtown they would have expected the City to toss all sense out and have heavy work completed in the middle of the night - its unheard of. If these people were complaining about 7am to 11pm work then I would agree and they wouldnt get any sympathy from me.

Heavy work being done at night is not unheard of. Happens all the time. A few weeks of noise is hardly worth complaining about. I live at Church and King and I remember streetcar track replacement being done on King at night. Otherwise the whole neighbourhood would have been severely disrupted during the day. For me it comes with the territory. Expect noise at all times if you choose to live in an area prone to it.

you mean the needs of many drivers ...
Get over yourself. The Gardiner is an absolutely vital piece of infrastructure that cannot keep having its capacity cut. I feel the effects 7km west and I'm sick of it. So deal with the noise you big babies.

I think you have to look at the situation....and I think the city got it right this time.

For work that is overhead of a busy street you need to do it overnight/weekends when closing that street is least disruptive (to, both, cars and the growing pedestrian nature of that street)..... and that is what they did....in fact scheduled two overnights but when they got ahead of schedule and saw they could get it done on the weekend without the second overnight they cancelled it.

Seems that someone looked at all the factors and made the right call....but I don't subsribe to the theory that deciding to live DT/in the city is signing up for 24/7 construction noise....ambient city type noise, yes...but full on construction noise....nope.

Heavy work being done at night is not unheard of. Happens all the time. A few weeks of noise is hardly worth complaining about. I live at Church and King and I remember streetcar track replacement being done on King at night. Otherwise the whole neighbourhood would have been severely disrupted during the day. For me it comes with the territory. Expect noise at all times if you choose to live in an area prone to it.
Was that work for an intersection in which the schedule was designed to be condensed? Track replacement work and ramp demolition work are not the same - a lot of the noise you hear from the ramp demolition work is the concrete falling to the ground below.

My point was we all want this done quickly - I get it - but having this long project run 24-7 doesnt make sense at this point. If we are in July and the project is behind schedule then sure the Contractor should suggest ways to pick things up. The argument that you are downtown beside the highway so suck it up just doesnt fly with me. Why don't we tell the people along the Eglinton LRT that job will go 24-7? The other side of this relates to the Contractor - do they even have the ability to run the project like this? It may not make sense for them anyway.

Get over yourself. The Gardiner is an absolutely vital piece of infrastructure that cannot keep having its capacity cut. I feel the effects 7km west and I'm sick of it. So deal with the noise you big babies.

Nope; baseless assertion not rooted in fact. Try again.

Nope; baseless assertion not rooted in fact. Try again.
Take a look at google maps to see what the Gardiner looks like every morning westbound. And Lake Shore for that matter.

Baseless assertion? Lol

Was that work for an intersection in which the schedule was designed to be condensed? Track replacement work and ramp demolition work are not the same - a lot of the noise you hear from the ramp demolition work is the concrete falling to the ground below.

My point was we all want this done quickly - I get it - but having this long project run 24-7 doesnt make sense at this point. If we are in July and the project is behind schedule then sure the Contractor should suggest ways to pick things up. The argument that you are downtown beside the highway so suck it up just doesnt fly with me. Why don't we tell the people along the Eglinton LRT that job will go 24-7? The other side of this relates to the Contractor - do they even have the ability to run the project like this? It may not make sense for them anyway.

Actually TBH Eglinton LRT should have gone 24/7 if possible - it wouldn't have dragged out into an 8 year project. In this particular instance I think there was only one bidder because of the specific manpower demands.

AoD

Actually TBH Eglinton LRT should have gone 24/7 if possible - it wouldn't have dragged out into an 8 year project.

AoD
North America is the only place on earth where public projects take so long. Why? Everywhere else the government tells you tough shit.

Take a look at google maps to see what the Gardiner looks like every morning westbound. And Lake Shore for that matter.

Baseless assertion? Lol

I'm not claiming there's no traffic on the Gardiner (obviously), but it is indeed purely your opinion that it "cannot keep having its capacity cut." That statement also incorrectly presupposes that adding or preserving road capacity will alleviate congestion.

So, yes, baseless assertion.

Back