49744580441_f5572eee36_b.jpg

This will be an interesting space. Seems to be a bit of a break in the building for a pedestrian path?

Thanks to Jason's drone, you can really see how significant the site is now that a large part of it is under construction. Beginning to think that these projects is what will send Mississauga's skyline into a new era.

Thanks to Jason's drone, you can really see how significant the site is now that a large part of it is under construction. Beginning to think that these projects is what will send Mississauga's skyline into a new era.
Mississauga shall no longer be a sleepy suburb of Toronto but a bustling major city under its own right.

Mississauga shall no longer be a sleepy suburb of Toronto but a bustling major city under its own right.
It will need significantly more office space in its core to be able to claim that.

Mississauga is already a bustling city with a lot of office and industrial space. Square One is ringed with office buildings, and the area around Pearson is a huge employment zone, for instance. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the built form of a traditional city with a vibrant, dense, and mixed-use downtown. But it may still build one from scratch.

Mississauga is already a bustling city with a lot of office and industrial space. Square One is ringed with office buildings, and the area around Pearson is a huge employment zone, for instance. Unfortunately, it doesn't have the built form of a traditional city with a vibrant, dense, and mixed-use downtown. But it may still build one from scratch.
Mississauga is a bustling suburb that happens to have city status. It has tons of employment spaces, mostly in office and light industrial facilities in land intensive business park type settings surrounding Pearson. Its downtown has a few relatively small and mostly nondescript office buildings in the core, but a city hall, library, and performing arts centre of note. It's good that it has a nascent college campus now. Its downtown is still dominated by a massively horizontal shopping mall and its attendant parking spaces, mostly in surface lots and above ground garages. It lacks rapid transit other than an infrequently used BRT transitway. A new LRT is coming to the downtown's east side, which has been scaled back from providing a loop through the whole downtown area. Downtown is still poorly connected with the (mostly low density) neighbourhoods around it other than via a few major arterials and an expressway which all emphasize car travel. Significant vacant land surrounding the downtown area is gradually filling up with residential towers, and some of the missing street connections are being made as those buildings go in.

Mississauga has got a long way to go to becoming a city in the traditional sense and in "its own right," which was the phrase I was reacting to, as opposed to the suburban satellite that it still feels like today. It exists because of Toronto and always will, but with the gradual building out of the downtown area over the coming decades, it should someday accrue the character it will need to feel like a real city.

Mississauga is a bustling suburb that happens to have city status. It has tons of employment spaces, mostly in office and light industrial facilities in land intensive business park type settings surrounding Pearson. Its downtown has a few relatively small and mostly nondescript office buildings in the core, but a city hall, library, and performing arts centre of note. It's good that it has a nascent college campus now. Its downtown is still dominated by a massively horizontal shopping mall and its attendant parking spaces, mostly in surface lots and above ground garages. It lacks rapid transit other than an infrequently used BRT transitway. A new LRT is coming to the downtown's east side, which has been scaled back from providing a loop through the whole downtown area. Downtown is still poorly connected with the (mostly low density) neighbourhoods around it other than via a few major arterials and an expressway which all emphasize car travel. Significant vacant land surrounding the downtown area is gradually filling up with residential towers, and some of the missing street connections are being made as those buildings go in.

Mississauga has got a long way to go to becoming a city in the traditional sense and in "its own right," which was the phrase I was reacting to, as opposed to the suburban satellite that it still feels like today. It exists because of Toronto and always will, but with the gradual building out of the downtown area over the coming decades, it should someday accrue the character it will need to feel like a real city.

Mississauga is a city with a large commercial base, hundreds of thousands of people, a culture sector, and an education sector. I'm not sure how self-sufficient it is, but I would guess that it's self-sufficient to a lot greater extent than you give it credit for. There are numerous corporations and firms that are based in Mississauga and do business with the rest of the country and beyond our borders.

While you may not like its low-density built form built around the car like a suburb, that's essentially what modern cities look like unfortunately. Perhaps with further development, it can look more like a traditional city like Toronto. But it's quite rare for cities (not just suburbs) built up after the car went mainstream not to look like Mississauga.

Last edited:
Mississauga is very unique in North America that a suburban city has a skyline to rival other cities in North America.

Given the high-rise projects proposed for Square One, it will have a bustling downtown in a few decades. The wide roads that Mississauga will probably re-purposed.

In terms of transportation what Mississauga needs:

1 - Extension of Eglinton LRT to link up with Hurontario LRT and later on being extended all the way to Erin Mills
2 - Adding back the downtown loop of the Hurontario LRT
3 - Subway being extended from Kipling to Square One
4 - GO Train Stop at Square One on the Milton Line
5 - Milton Line being made all day two way by getting the missing link finished

Mississauga is awkward in that it doesn't really have a traditional city centre (aside from Port Credit), and that the majority of its commuters travel to Toronto. I am excited for what's going on at Square One area, but I am still uncertain how the new developments will be able to create an urban centre. The blocks are still too big, the streets too wide, and overall too auto-oriented.

I have been thinking recently that Mississauga should actually play up the Cooksville area more. Cooksville has (mostly) a more traditional street grid and a GO Station (plus potential Dundas BRT in the future). It actually sorta resembles some of the typical "hollowed out" downtown areas of many North American cities. If more development took place in Cooksville to redevelop those parking lots, and intensify some of that 1-2 storey commercial buildings, you could end up with a second more urban downtown area that contrasts against the high-rise built-form of MCC/SQ1.

I wouldn't say a majority travel to Toronto, there is actually a huge amount of employment in Mississauga. I'd have to check census data to confirm that though.

The thing is that even if a majority of Mississaugans don't work in Toronto, the two job markets *are* combined. Someone in Toronto will likely be willing to apply for a job in Mississauga and vice-versa. It's why a lot of people balk at calling it a separate city. They are a single "marketplace", regardless of the municipal boundary.

I wouldn't say a majority travel to Toronto, there is actually a huge amount of employment in Mississauga. I'd have to check census data to confirm that though.

The thing is that even if a majority of Mississaugans don't work in Toronto, the two job markets *are* combined. Someone in Toronto will likely be willing to apply for a job in Mississauga and vice-versa. It's why a lot of people balk at calling it a separate city. They are a single "marketplace", regardless of the municipal boundary.

According to the Mississauga Mayor, more people commute into Mississauga to work than those commuting out. But most of those work in job center clusters along the 401 near the airport, Meadowvale and few other industrial areas and the airport itself.

Back