That's quite a shame. Many of these members who only focus on downtown would surely love to see something like this built in toronto over lots of what is currently going up
I actually enjoy these Mississauga threads. Someone posts photos. People like photos. The end.

half of Toronto threads are people complaining that the designs are boring, that traffic will get worse or gentrification is killing the Toronto hoods.

We're missing out on all the complaints about spandrel, I guess.

None of Mississauga's neighbourhoods are precious enough to worry about gentrification. Maybe a hot take, but I think gentrification is a fact of life and people complain about it way too much. The only way to avoid gentrification is for a city to die. I think they should be allowed to evolve, as they always have done.

I spy some balcony glass ready to be installled.

88095309-58E6-456F-A0B0-E4B8C3FAD09D.jpeg

We're missing out on all the complaints about spandrel, I guess.

None of Mississauga's neighbourhoods are precious enough to worry about gentrification. Maybe a hot take, but I think gentrification is a fact of life and people complain about it way too much. The only way to avoid gentrification is for a city to die. I think they should be allowed to evolve, as they always have done.
I think your observation is correct. Historically as one neighbourhood gentrifies, another (depressed) neighbourhood was often the benefactor of the displaced population and businesses of the gentrified neighbourhood, and so the cycle went.

But with our modern zoning codes, cities are not so organic anymore, and the displaced population and businesses don't necessarily have somewhere to go. In our region's context, they have typically been forced to locate in suburban neighbourhoods with inferior access to public services, more auto-dependence, and commercially hostile built forms (tower-in-the-park style, little opportunity for small businesses to locate).

Mississauga may seem like a clean slate, especially around Square One, but I am curious how areas like Cooksville develop especially once Hurontario LRT is completed.

^If you own--you're golden. If you're trying to get in the market--get rekt. It's as simple as that since the bubble really accelerated after 2015.

Hard to tell from distance how good the balcony glass will be but it looks quite opaque.

View attachment 314238
Well… you can see through it, so it doesn't look opaque whatsoever. (Can something actually be 'quite opaque?' It's either opaque or it isn't. What we've got here is translucent glass that blocks a not insignificant amount of light.)

Well… you can see through it, so it doesn't look opaque whatsoever. (Can something actually be 'quite opaque?' It's either opaque or it isn't.)

Not from a technical definition. Opacity is a measure from 1 (transparent) to 0 (opaque). Similarly, transparency can be thought of as a scale. In this case, the glass is definitely not fully transparent.

Not from a technical definition. Opacity is a measure from 1 (transparent) to 0 (opaque). Similarly, transparency can be thought of as a scale. In this case, the glass is definitely not fully transparent.
Translucency is measured from 10 (transparent) to 0 (opaque). Time to move on....

Back