2.png
3.png
4.png
5.png
6.png

04/04/2024
7.png
8.png

I hope they someday bury those hydro lines and add some trees to cover up that podium. Having the worst of both worlds (an unimaginative podium + ugly electrical infrastructure) is not ideal for what will one day be a "main street" of this area, even though I don't necessarily see that happening.

I hope they someday bury those hydro lines and add some trees to cover up that podium. Having the worst of both worlds (an unimaginative podium + ugly electrical infrastructure) is not ideal for what will one day be a "main street" of this area, even though I don't necessarily see that happening.
I feel like confederation is shaping up to be a potential ā€œMain Streetā€ of the area. Itā€™s way too wide still but has quite a few restaurants already.

Yes, Mississauga has a long way to go before it transforms into a proper city with real city streets. This car thoroughfare has the potential to become its first urban stretch but it will likely take 20+ years to materialize.

I feel like confederation is shaping up to be a potential ā€œMain Streetā€ of the area. Itā€™s way too wide still but has quite a few restaurants already.
Confederation will feel more urban if/when the Hurontario LRT runs down it for the city centre loop. It may feel like a proper urban street! Maybe

Confederation will feel more urban if/when the Hurontario LRT runs down it for the city centre loop. It may feel like a proper urban street! Maybe
Donā€™t worry the goal posts will move. Was university avenue an urban street? Itā€™s three lanes in each direction! Is Yonge street an urban street itā€™s two lanes in each direction. Thatā€™s the same as confederation. But soon it will be a no car street and torontonians will act like these pedestrian only streets have been there forever when just 20 years ago there was an abundance of surface lots right outside the core. Everyone needs to relax. Mississauga is basically brand new and itā€™s building its own city. Meanwhile outside of the core in Toronto much of it is car dependent just like Mississauga

It is quite eye-opening when one compares the population of Mississauga with European cities like Dublin, Frankfurt, DĆ¼sseldorf, or Rotterdam and realizes just how populous and big it is for a mere ā€œsuburbā€. I am curious how aware people in other provinces and countries are of Mississauga? Although it exists in its dimensions because if its proximity to Toronto, if you made a theoretical copy of Mississauga and plucked it in another part of the country it would be considered a significant regional city on the scale of Winnipeg, Calgary or Edmonton.

Last edited:
It is quite eye-opening when one compares the population of Mississauga with European cities like Dublin, Frankfurt, DĆ¼sseldorf, or Rotterdam and realizes just how populace and big it is for a mere ā€œsuburbā€. I am curious how aware people in other provinces and countries are of Mississauga? Although it exists in its dimensions because if its proximity to Toronto, if you made a theoretical copy of Mississauga and plucked it in another part of the country it would be considered a significant regional city on the scale of Winnipeg, Calgary or Edmonton.
Mississauga isn't really a distinct city from Toronto, for the most part. You could say the same thing about Scarborough. The distinction between Scarb and Mississauga is mostly administrative. Scarborough Town Centre and MCC are roughly equidistant to downtown.

Mississauga isn't really a distinct city from Toronto, for the most part. You could say the same thing about Scarborough. The distinction between Scarb and Mississauga is mostly administrative. Scarborough Town Centre and MCC are roughly equidistant to downtown.
That maybe. But Mississauga having its own city hall will mean that the more it grows the more it will be its own distinct city. Meanwhile Scarborough town centre will always be torontos suburb and the taxes flow to the core not to the outskirts hubs of its city.

For example the main library is at mcc. The main Toronto library will never be at Scarborough. The main place Mississauga people congregate for News year is celebration square. In Toronto it will always be Nathan Phillips square. It will never be Mel Lastmans square.

That maybe. But Mississauga having its own city hall will mean that the more it grows the more it will be its own distinct city. Meanwhile Scarborough town centre will always be torontos suburb and the taxes flow to the core not to the outskirts hubs of its city.

For example the main library is at mcc. The main Toronto library will never be at Scarborough. The main place Mississauga people congregate for News year is celebration square. In Toronto it will always be Nathan Phillips square. It will never be Mel Lastmans square.
I don't think this is a material difference. In both places, people go downtown or stay local in similar proportions. It's not as if a city of 5-7M can fit in Nathan Phillips. At any rate, these things are all pretty superficial. As an economic unit, it's all Toronto.

Back