Whats with all the hate for MLS? Personally, I think it looks GREAT! Far from ordinary. It looks nothing like Pinnacle/18 yonge. You guys need your eyes examined.

well we all have our own opinions on different buildings so there is no right answer on this one :cool:

Jan 23 Visited

After shooting Ritz, I see this. The bathroom tiles don't work here.
IMG_jan-23-10-0228.jpg

IMG_jan-23-10-0229.jpg

IMG_jan-23-10-0230.jpg

The impact that these two make as you come along King St. out near Sumach is amazing. I'll have to get a sunset view, I capture it everyday on my home from work and they look great. Twin towers bookending the view corridor.

They took the crane down on Sat and caught part of it on this video. My hands were freezing trying to shoot this video as I just finished shooting the Ritz. Had no plans to be in the area until I saw the steel going up from Dufferin and Queen St. It was coming down very slow as it was windy in this area at the time.

Very cool. Thanks for freezing your hands and sharing.

^^^ well, I think thats a big part of the point / complaint. the choice of materials and colours is disappointing and so the execution of the already pedestrian architecture also sucks. I know a lot of people get shot down for comparing completed buildings to their renders but I feel the need to fall back on that comparison here. I dont have the renders handy but I remember them suggesting either black or brown glass. The green glass is bad enough but when they put it over top of white panelling for the roof element it just makes the whole design look very cheap. It really boggles the mind as to what developers and architects are thinking. I cant wait for the next trend in building design... we're getting way too many of these things and its gotta stop soon!

p.s. - canarob, I loved that "aqua cluster" name you came up with!

I wish the design review panel was in place before these projects were approved. I didn't even care for the original renders of these towers. I can't believe such a lousy collection of buildings (MLS, Pinnacle, etc.) have managed to find a home on such prime real estate, front and centre on the skyline.

The design review panel wouldn't of made any difference. I don't think they're collectively or individually great but calling them lousy is just a tad much. Makes me wonder what you and others who bemoaning just about everything expect. They're condos that also happen to be on the affordable scale.

to add,

or perhaps i'm just spending too much time in North York Centre lately.

Last edited:
Maple Leaf Square isn't exactly lousy architecture, though I do feel that Pinnacle is far too utilitarian and oppressive to be in such a location. It's unfortunate that the Pinnacle site couldn't have been treated differently.

I have a softer spot for MLS though.

I've got to say that I realllly like this project. Towers are very sleek. Gr8 stuff.

I think that, as statements on the skyline, the paired Ice condos and these sleek towers will work well together. Meanwhile, down on earth, the irregularly-shaped space bounded by the MLS towers, the Telus building, the Air Canada Centre and the renovated Union Station will be as unique and memorable as the TD Centre plaza is and the exterior of Commerce Court used to be before it was monkeyed with.

the only part of the above statement I can agree with is the infallible design of the TD plaza. I also like the modern renovation of CC. The "square" of MLS is at best a glorified drive thru lane that only Las Vegas could envy. The MLS towers will look acceptable at night though, when their colour can not be deciphered.

One thing I didn't notice until now, is that the light green roof feature is reflective.

Another video - um, can you tell I'm running out of music. lol

[video=youtube;v3Dm6Ch_aQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3Dm6Ch_aQ4[/video]

Last edited:

Back