Then & Now of a more recent variety.

From the top of the Harbourfront parking garage
Oct 16, 2006
TNSkyline1-101606.jpg

August 19, 2010
TNSkyline2-081910.jpg

I did a double take on that one - By my count there are 6 new projects in the last 4 years. It was obvious this area was crazy for development - I just never realized how much had gone in in such a short time.

the growth on these blocks within the last few years has been amazing. its such a shame that they were unoccupied for so long. this has literally added a whole new area/district to downtown. :D. is it "officially" the southcore financial district? (does it include MLS?)

I did a double take on that one - By my count there are 6 new projects in the last 4 years. It was obvious this area was crazy for development - I just never realized how much had gone in in such a short time.

A 360 pano would show a wack more.

the growth on these blocks within the last few years has been amazing. its such a shame that they were unoccupied for so long. this has literally added a whole new area/district to downtown. :D. is it "officially" the southcore financial district? (does it include MLS?)

I think so. considering that there is office space there, and that the term will probably spread to all office space south of front street.. or south of the railtracks.

Awesome. Even though I hate this new area as it has pretty much no exterior life, it's great to see such growth and watch the city transform before your eyes.

^ It is pretty sterile right now but I think things will change considerably over the next few years. The addition of new condos and office towers will help, along with the new aquarium to the west. I can't see this ever being a traditional neighbourhood but this area will evolve into a new kind of neighbourhood. Residential, commercial, entertainment all seamlessly mixed together into very tight areas. If you stand in the middle of Bremner and Lower Simcoe you are surrounded by office towers, condos, hotel, CN Tower, convention centre, hockey/basketball arena, railway museum, brewery, furniture store, baseball stadium and aquarium (coming soon). Personally, I love it and Toronto seems to be very good at pulling this off.

Yes. Despite the large residential component, this area will always feel more downtowny than neighbourhoody. Well, the bits around the Infinities will be more NYCC-ish, but well, the world hasn't ended in NYCC either.

^ It is pretty sterile right now but I think things will change considerably over the next few years. The addition of new condos and office towers will help, along with the new aquarium to the west. I can't see this ever being a traditional neighbourhood but this area will evolve into a new kind of neighbourhood. Residential, commercial, entertainment all seamlessly mixed together into very tight areas. If you stand in the middle of Bremner and Lower Simcoe you are surrounded by office towers, condos, hotel, CN Tower, convention centre, hockey/basketball arena, railway museum, brewery, furniture store, baseball stadium and aquarium (coming soon). Personally, I love it and Toronto seems to be very good at pulling this off.

Nearly 4 years ago people were calling the area a windswept wasteland and look now. I agree, while the design of the neighborhood and the buildings might not be everyone's cup of tea, it's come a long way from the windswept parking lots of 4 years ago. I think in 4 more years once PWC, Ice, Infinity phase 3, etc are completed we will have a much more finished region and it will be just as lively as any other street in the city (barring the most active streets).

As much as I like the SouthCore moniker I think "Stadium District" or a name like that would at least allow reference to the two stadiums that anchor the street/neighbourhood; is in keeping with the city's naming convention (Fashion District, Entertainment district); and may attract some companies who would like to be close to the sports atmosphere (agents, lawyers, companies with ties to the sports industry).

Nearly 4 years ago people were calling the area a windswept wasteland and look now. I agree, while the design of the neighborhood and the buildings might not be everyone's cup of tea, it's come a long way from the windswept parking lots of 4 years ago. I think in 4 more years once PWC, Ice, Infinity phase 3, etc are completed we will have a much more finished region and it will be just as lively as any other street in the city (barring the most active streets).

As much as I like the SouthCore moniker I think "Stadium District" or a name like that would at least allow reference to the two stadiums that anchor the street/neighbourhood; is in keeping with the city's naming convention (Fashion District, Entertainment district); and may attract some companies who would like to be close to the sports atmosphere (agents, lawyers, companies with ties to the sports industry).

I was explaining to someone the other day how so many cities have neighbourhoods/areas that start with "SO" (SOHO in NY and SOMA in S.F. as examples) and that the SO stands for "South Of"

They asked me if Toronto had one and I said "I don't think so but I think the whole area south of Front, North of Lakeshore, including the ACC west to Spadina should be called SOFRO"....spread the word ;)

It's just barely south of the centre of the universe: SOCU

Don't see SouthCore catching on.. too nerdy.

I live/work in the area, and right now it's known as "beside the ACC".
Bet people will end up calling the whole area "York St" or "York & Bremner".

Back