It's not really one building tho. It's more like 5 or 6 buildings being built right up beside each other and at the same time. The office, hotel, and retail components are all completely separate so it makes sense that it would read as different from the street. That and the needs of a hotel's cladding are distinct from that of an office (the hotel needs smaller, operable windows). Not to mention that the building would be overwhelmingly bland if they tried to cover such a large surface area in one uniform pattern

I think that is the problem they are trying to deal with. It is one building...but they need to create the feel/illusion of separate buildings. There is not a great history of tenants wanting to pay full market rent to be in a 200,000 s.f. office component of a mall or a hotel. So the challenge was to create the illusion of a separate office building within a greater development.

Time will tell if they are successful (I don't think they have completed any office leases yet and a big portion of the retail is spoken for from two tenants so it is hard to determine how much "market acceptance" there is to this sort of mixed use project).

I'm loving that black cladding more and more... its some much needed contrast between all the grey and carolina blue of the waterfront.

I'm really liking this contrasting cladding. Once it's complete, I think it'll create a genuine feeling of two different buildings built right up against each other; just how I like it. Along with Telus, the little streetwall down here will look great.

January 5 2009 update

more of the sharp looking black cladding ... north tower's at the 16th floor ... south tower's at the 12th floor ~

Northwest View
IMG_3085.jpg

Southwest View
IMG_3086.jpg

very nice pics, Solaris.....:)

Amazing pics!

These towers are going to be incredibly slim in proportion. Beautiful. And they are going up quickly.

It's nice to live in an age when so many real architects are once again taking seriously their responsibility to design decent residential buldings.

It's nice to live in an age when so many real architects are once again taking seriously their responsibility to design decent residential buldings.

Yes that is so very true. It only makes me more angry when I see poor design though.

Also thanks Solaris for the awesome photos!

See, that's the kind of podium you want. Nice and bulky, creating a decent street wall.

There's some cladding up now on the north condo tower, but it's really hard to see. So far it's on the south side of the tower, but I'm sure it'll make its way around to the other side soon. The stuff I saw was distinctly, opaquely gray, so I'm not sure what colour the majority of the glass will end up being

i feared for this project and worried about the gargantuan podium but this actually doesn't look too bad..I do like the black cladding and like the windows in the podium, plus the variation separating the building.

Back