According to the market's website, the site has been used for a market for well over a century. I don't think that patch of land was ever industrialized.

Underway.....pic by Jasonzed at SSC....

20091122028.jpg

Looks like I need to find a new parking lot now. I would park there occasionally when I needed to park near our office. That's ok though
I'am all in favour of filling in those above ground parking lots.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO ON M5E 1N1

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 09 197587 BLD 00 BA Issued Date: Dec 18, 2009

Project: Multiple Unit Building Other(BA)

Description: Partial Foundation permit in connection to BLD & FND 09 179985 for caison installation only.

Was at the sales centre today and noticed more equipment on site. Mind you, I guess there's only so much that can be done during the winter months.

Was at the sales centre today and noticed more equipment on site. Mind you, I guess there's only so much that can be done during the winter months.

It's to dig the holes for the piles (caisson drilling) and I think these machines can work all winter (and if the ground is waterlogged actually work better in partly frozen earth.) As the building will not have a basement I think it needs fewer piles than most buildings but presumably it does need foundations reaching bed-rock.

work ongoing, pic posted by CanadianSkyScraper at SSC....

4310103595_d5ca7f941b_b.jpg

As far as I know they are still only building (or actually excavating/piling for) Phase 1. Phase 2 is the site just to the south of the picture and it's still a car park. Of they are really going to move on Phase 2 soon I would have thought they would do all the piling at the same time.

I can't tell how far back in the pic the development will be... but Phase 1 is the podium which will be the entire length of the site and Phase 2 is the tower. That's my understanding.

This is City land and is to be the temporary site of the North St Lawrence Market (starting late 2010 or early 2011). When the new Market is finished, 2013?, the area will become an extension of David Crombie Park.

Back