April 6

IMG_2568-001_zps45269d3d.jpg

IMG_2567_zps1c4a90aa.jpg

IMG_2565_zps9df8777e.jpg

IMG_2569_zps37363aee.jpg

Can we get past the slab comments already? Why is a slab inherently bad?? Personally I think it's slab-tastic from afar, and wave-alicious up close... as all the amazing pictures posted here demonstrate very well.

(no offense shorty)

Can we get past the slab comments already? Why is a slab inherently bad?? Personally I think it's slab-tastic from afar, and wave-alicious up close... as all the amazing pictures posted here demonstrate very well.

(no offense shorty)

Shorty calls it a slab. I call it a wall. Every gorgeous skyline view shot that Razz posts is marred by this thing.

'Wave-alicious'?
I suppose for those on the roof seats of the passing tour buses gawking chin straight up as they pass..perhaps. Other than that, it just ain't cutting it, and somewhere out there is a 'star' architect with a 'star' ego that gets a fail on this one.
(No offence tewder)

Shorty calls it a slab. I call it a wall. Every gorgeous skyline view shot that Razz posts is marred by this thing.

'Wave-alicious'?
I suppose for those on the roof seats of the passing tour buses gawking chin straight up as they pass..perhaps. Other than that, it just ain't cutting it, and somewhere out there is a 'star' architect with a 'star' ego that gets a fail on this one.
(No offence tewder)

Missed your meds today gran?

In any case, I'm not sure why Clewes gets a 'fail' on this one. Context (with aA as their architects) initially proposed a taller tower with a significantly smaller floor plate, then were goaded into the slab by the City and SLNA. Yet somehow this is an aA 'fail?'

I don't get the slab comment. As I scroll up and down admiring the terrific photos above of this stunning building and with L tower in the background I'm nearly left breathless. I don't understand why this project gets so much less attention than something like the clearly inferior Aura, which see's five times the amount of traffic. This should be a strong cue for developers to build better and more attractive mid-rises and high-rises, I'd be proud as a peacock if I had have bought in here. Thankfully the tide is finally changing for many better looking, more interesting and engaging buildings in Toronto, but not quickly enough.

Don't get the impression that I don't like this development. The details and scale of the base creates a wonderful presence at ground level and from up close all the intricacies of the tower are quite spectacular. My concern is that for a building that is part of the downtown fabric it's too much of a "tweener"..too tall for a slab and not tall enough to be a point tower. Perhaps this is a symptom of consensus architecture.
I think this had the potential to be a remarkable building. I simply find it disappointing for that reason.

Missed your meds today gran?

In any case, I'm not sure why Clewes gets a 'fail' on this one. Context (with aA as their architects) initially proposed a taller tower with a significantly smaller floor plate, then were goaded into the slab by the City and SLNA. Yet somehow this is an aA 'fail?'

I always take my daily doses of vinegar, honey, and gin with a tad bit of vermouth. What I post on this form is usually timed to what I read, what I feel a response is required, and which of the above I just took., and I never allow myself to give consideration to how the local opinion parade is going to deal with it.
Nobody appreciates a well executed sarcastic shot more than me. Yours was well executed and I suppose deserved.
I'm reminded of the last time I threw out a shot at a Clews idolizer here suggesting he may had a little too much wine after his 'the great man can do no wrong' comment. One particular individual wailed away through several posts at my unacceptable remark and finally announced that he would no longer read my posts. I'll miss him..(that was sarcasm)
Allow me to elaborate a tad on how I feel about Market Wharf.
I could easily live here...happily.
I consider the podium to be sheer architectural brilliance. In a podium crowded city where many have been built
this past decade, this one is the cream of the crop. I am so envious of those inner roof top courtyard dwellers.
The tower proportion in relation to the rest is so wrenchingly wrong it literally puts knot in my stomach every time I see at a distance.
I vaguely remember seeing an early picture when this thing was supposed to be more of a slender and taller point tower. It was drop dead gorgeous... And then the compromising started. And we all ended up with this squatty fat thing.
Oh. I also like the wavy ribbon like effect of the balconies. This time of year the optimum effect I believe is between 11:15 and 11:45, give or take 10 minutes. After that it goes back to impersonating a 1960s era Scarborough rental high rise.

Last edited:
The tower proportion in relation to the rest is so wrenchingly wrong it literally puts knot in my stomach every time I see at a distance.
I vaguely remember seeing an early picture when this thing was supposed to be more of a slender and taller point tower. It was drop dead gorgeous... And then the compromising started. And we all ended up with this squatty fat thing.

I'm still not sure why 'squatty' and 'fat' are inherently bad (and no, I'm not wrestling with any personal body issues here). Regardless, I'm certainly not downing pepto over the fact we didn't get yet another slim point tower here... and 1960s-era blocks? Kinda cool actually.

... BUT, I still hope Granny will give me a cookie if I disagree with her :)

I'm still not sure why 'squatty' and 'fat' are inherently bad (and no, I'm not wrestling with any personal body issues here). Regardless, I'm certainly not downing pepto over the fact we didn't get yet another slim point tower here... and 1960s-era blocks? Kinda cool actually.

... BUT, I still hope Granny will give me a cookie if I disagree with her :)

Thanks to your excellent posts (for the most part) you were upgraded to a martini long ago.

Back