Massey_1.jpg

Massey_2.jpg

Massey_3.jpg

Massey_4.jpg

Massey_5.jpg

Massey_6.jpg

The pediment looks defaced. Maybe the figures are in the British Museum, on display next to the Elgin Marbles.

So, there's no record of what these figures are, of what the scene is? No photographic or other historical evidence? I've got to be honest. I find that hard to believe.

Last edited:
Presumably they are in a warehouse somewhere?

dscn9247_thumb.jpg

"Pediment above the north facade in 2017, the classical statues within the triangle having been removed
as they were in danger of falling into the street."

Last edited:

dscn9247_thumb.jpg

"Pediment above the north facade in 2017, the classical statues within the triangle having been removed

Does anyone know which warehouse? This is insane.

Last edited:

dscn9247_thumb.jpg

I think that bit was wrong (or the sentence itself wasn't clear - 2017 refers to the date of the photo and not the date of removal) - from the HIS:

1603978442568.png

(Massey Hall/ERA)

It's pretty clear the sculptures were removed a long time ago; given there is no reference to where they are now, it's probably safe to assume it's lost.

AoD

I think that bit was wrong (or the sentence itself wasn't clear - 2017 refers to the date of the photo and not the date of removal) - from the HIS:

View attachment 279580
(Massey Hall/ERA)

It's pretty clear the sculptures were removed a long time ago; given there is no reference to where they are now, it's probably safe to assume it's lost.

AoD

Did anyone check Roy Thompson Hall 😜

So, there's no record of what these figures are, of what the scene is? No photographic or other historical evidence? I've got to be honest. I find that hard to believe.

Just look at the markings left behind - one is quite plausibly a harp (2nd from right); the two furthest on the left looked like string instruments (violin?) followed by an organ? I think there are some old archival photos that shows the pediment sculptures, but not clear enough to identify all the details

e.g. https://urbantoronto.ca/news/2013/05/massey-hall-past-present-and-proposed-future

They're still around in 1911, but gone-ish (??) by 1973, and most definitely gone by 1994:

AoD

Last edited:
If good archival photos could be found, I'd welcome a replica sculpture/relief project... this Massey reno deserves it.

Maybe the folks who did the "Winged Glory" replacement at the Ex could help out.

dscn1811_thumb.jpg

Link

The bricked-up windows have to go and the pediment figures have to come back, in some form. With the façade (lightly) cleaned and the stairs removed now, these deficiencies are glaring.

Back