True, but they are several kilometers apart. I was thinking more along the lines of immediate context.

ernst and young tower was finished in 91 right?

Last edited:
Personally I would much rather see a return of the 1970s than continue to live in the dim half-light of the 1980’s. The odd zombie-like persistence of the ziggurat motif—the sine qua non of hackneyed postmodernism—in architectural hairballs like 1 King West and Residences on College Park; and the cheap and ugly cornball historicism of clunkers like Trump, The Uptown and 88 Scott are far more dated, passé and provincial-looking than this apparently very elegant looking and intelligently considered Massey Tower.

Funny you say that, as for whatever reason, Pelli's Museum Tower lept to mind.
Perhaps it's just that it's tall, thin and has horizontal banding...or maybe because it hovers over older buildings. Renderings tend to make them sleeker than they eventually look like in real life. Time will tell, but the balconies are the deciding factor. If this tower had a curtain wall of light coloured facade with black tinted windows, it would be the right kind of "retro".

the tower proposal looks like a giant magnification of some consumer tech product that was considered "cutting edge" in 1976.

A Cartier lighter?

dscf7257resize.jpg
[/URL][/img]

It does look liket there'll be an above ground parkade.

The barcode ties into the verticality of the columns on the heritage buildings without being literal (i.e. pilasters).
The vertical repetition of the barcade translates to the horizontal repetition of the balconies above.

The question is whether the materials of the podium are too close in colour or texture to the old bank buildings - in that a lack of contrast will make then blend into the background - not what you want. I could see the podium re-emerging in a darker colour.

True, but they are several kilometers apart. I was thinking more along the lines of immediate context.

Before BCE / Brookfield Place was built, I recall that there was a short little tower of maybe 10 storeys on the Wellington & Bay corner that mimicked TD Centre.

You can see it to the right of the flatiron buidling in this shot:

20100926-70sflatiron.jpg

http://www.blogto.com/city/2010/09/toronto_of_the_1970s/

Last edited:
Too bad this ain't a Foster. Something like a smaller scaled Carre d'Art would have fit in between the two historical buildings very, very well, especially if the slim columns holding up a brise soleil above a generous steps/forecourt take on the cadence of the Corinthian/Ionic columns. As presented that space is a bit weak - seemingly wanting to be a park and a private, and somehow becoming neither.

AoD

Last edited:
here you go....posted a couple of pages back by someMidTowner...

I am cautiously optimistic...

edit: delete photo by request of the developer...not for release yet..

Last edited:
Probably the wrong thing to say for some, but I would have preferred something tall, light, crisp and glassy as a nice contrast with the ornate facade structures at street level. The rounded edges and horizontal striping of the tower seem a little over-pronounced.

You all do realize, if that turns out to be precast, what we have here is a taller version of uptown ... clearly with better lines though ...

Not very likely - I can't think of that many examples of precast used for balconies in such a manner (Radio City and 18 Yorkville comes to mind, but the rendering isn't reflective of anything like that).

AoD

Back