It's steps to the subway and streetcars and Eaton Centre is right across the street.
You don't need a car here.

Automated parking systems has been used in Europe and Asia for more than 30 years, they should be reliable if done right.

I'm almost tempted to suggest that this might have been a rare instance where a fancy little hat might have worked, a Classical pediment to signpost the two Classical bank buildings below and summarize them...

Perhaps it is overdoing the allusion, but I would like to see a drawing with some kind of triangular structure near the top of the podium to echo the classical pediments of the two former banks.

While it is fun to toy with such conceits, and the two bank buildings certainly command respect due to their symmetry and elegance, I'm inclined to think that the best approach is to go contemporary.

Agreed. Contemporary is the way to go. Might as well acknowledge we're living in a completely different era.

Though as "contemporary" does, I find the scheme an odd throwback to the 70s high-tech horizontal-band aesthetic of Citicorp--or, for that matter, Eaton Centre right across the street...

While it is fun to toy with such conceits, and the two bank buildings certainly command respect due to their symmetry and elegance, I'm inclined to think that the best approach is to go contemporary.

I agree! A clean, crisp contemporary tower would stand in its own right while at the same time respecting the decorative elegance of the bank buildings. There would be a polite contrast in terms of style and scale.

Though as "contemporary" does, I find the scheme an odd throwback to the 70s high-tech horizontal-band aesthetic of Citicorp--or, for that matter, Eaton Centre right across the street...

That's my main problem with the tower -- it isn't really "contemporary" at all, it is aping a distinctive 40-year-old aesthetic.

pretty decent
2012_02_21_01_28_07_massey_tower.png

It's so 80s :s
And way too similar to the one at Yonge/Dundas. Bleh.

I wish they could make the front of the podium line up with the bank buildings and just be this big way of glass...like an Apple store :p

That's my main problem with the tower -- it isn't really "contemporary" at all, it is aping a distinctive 40-year-old aesthetic.

So is the new Mustang.

I'd call it more of a re-interpretation, which has always been in the repertoire of contemporary design.

It boils down to either being good or bad. And when it's good, I'm apt to be a little more generous, and call it "classic".

It's so 80s :s
And way too similar to the one at Yonge/Dundas. Bleh.

But isn't an 80s type building progress for Toronto? :p Don't worry, this is only an initial render. It's likely that the final render and product will be boxier and greyer than this render to fit in with Toronto's 'building' guidelines (where grey boxes rule)! :p

So much spent verbiage over something which has authoritatively been stated is not the final product. And this isn't even the 501 Yonge thread...

I hope the tower comes out looking similar to this for the very reason adma stated, that's what I really like about it. The bottom portion needs some work. Does anyone know if 197 Yonge will be restored and used as retail or building facilities - or is it too early to know that?

Po-mo is anathema to architects these days.

Emphasis on "these days". Times change. It is inevitable that a public backlash to the banality of Neo-Modernism will occur, just like it did with 70s modernism. A Neo-PoMo if you will. We've seen signs of it already with the original 88 Scott, and Trump. I see no harm in variety. We sorely need it in Toronto.

Back