yes Ramako .... I probably wasn't looking close enough at the rendering before

here you go dob467 ... the early conceptual rendering that you seek:

pretty decent
2012_02_21_01_28_07_massey_tower.png

Of course none of the bowing and angling of the floorplate are hinted at in that early rendering other than the curved balconies at the southwest and southeast corners.

Of course none of the bowing and angling of the floorplate are hinted at in that early rendering other than the curved balconies at the southwest and southeast corners.

Yep, that floorplate is much more interesting that the preliminary render -- I like what this suggests much more, as it's seems less an aping of the '70s towers, and more a re-interpretation.

i also had no idea that the tower had a changing face.... interesting. can't wait to see full 360 degree renders/videos.... ya, the south and west sides are too plain. i would have wanted something cooler on the west side considering it's facing yonge street. pedestrians need something to look up at.

Sweet! Those balcony railings look iffy though. If you trip near the lower portion of the railing, you're over the railing and on your way down.

I like the podium on the new version for sure but i prefer the preliminary tower render....

LOL!!!! Alot of the comments posted above about the preliminary render... mean basically nothing now :p
podium is still weird though

this one is like if One Bloor got together with Theatre Park.

Sweet! Those balcony railings look iffy though. If you trip near the lower portion of the railing, you're over the railing and on your way down.

Yeah - Massey Tower will be featuring balconies that don't meet code.

Sorry about the sarcasm, but really… there's a transparent part and a translucent part of the balcony glazing. You're not seeing the transparent part.

It looks like the curve of the building exterior gets more pronounced as it gets higher -- is that an illusion, or do the balconies actually have more of a waviness as they go up?

Tulse, if you check out the floor plans on the previous page, you will see the dashed lines indicating the range of angles that the balconies move through as the building rises.

This rendering and the reactions to it really demonstrate how much higher our standards have become. Remember 10 years ago when many forumers were going gaga over the ugly precast fugly-fest that is Pantages Tower (shown to the left in the rendering) and the let's-make-a-wave-out-of-our-mechanical-box Maritime Life (now Manulife) Tower (shown to the right)? We've come a long way!

For the record, I think Massey Tower will look great.

Last edited:
I love this, finally a fresh departure from the standard glass box tower. My only disappointment is I wish that the condo entrance was in the middle and 197 Yonge restored and used as a flagship retail location. Hopefully the revitalization of this stretch will finally find a good tenant for 205 Yonge too. It could make for a perfect restaurant space.

Back