There's very little chance of this development not being approved. Not only are they restoring a hertage building, but they're going out of their way, and taking on some difficulty, to help out one or two more. As opposed to elsewhere in the city where developers want to make pots of money by simply demolishing heritage buildings they previously agreed to protect.

If done right, and there's no reason to believe it won't be by seeing what MOD is doing at FIVE, they deserve wide recognition and awards for what they are doing with their two projects on downtown Yonge. This is the way to build condos on Yonge Street, I'd love to see more of this.

It looks like this instance of preservation will be of better quality since the bank interior is being restored. FIVE is essentially building new buildings behind the four walls of the heritage buildings along Yonge Street. The end result should be significantly better than the typical facadectomy, since the historic buildings will still look like actual buildings rather then some strange bit of architectural veneer clipped onto a contemporary building.

Only one of the interiors of the Yonge Street properties up at FIVE had anything nearing significance, original brick walls. Nothing lost here, everything gained.

Only one of the interiors of the Yonge Street properties up at FIVE had anything nearing significance, original brick walls. Nothing lost here, everything gained.

True, but it is important to distinguish the projects based on whether interior restoration is involved. MOD is taking a good approach to preservation in both cases considering what they're working with. Though it should be noted that interior restoration by recreating original features or finding them on the antiques market is conceivable with a project like FIVE. It would probably still be possible to undertake such a project in the future with MOD's solid preservation plan, though I don't know if it would be worth it since I haven't seen any photos or architectural plans of the original interiors.

Last edited:
True, but it is important to distinguish the projects based on whether interior restoration is involved. MOD is taking a good approach to preservation in both cases considering what they're working with. Though it should be noted that interior restoration by recreating original features or finding them on the antiques market is conceivable with a project like FIVE. It would probably still be possible to undertake such a project in the future with MOD's solid preservation plan, though I don't know if it would be worth it since I haven't seen any photos or architectural plans of the original interiors.

Hey, all the better if they go that route but I don't expect that and I've got to say, I'm thrilled enough with what they are doing with the exteriors. Hopefully in a couple of years nearby building owners will take a look at their building with shame when compared to what MOD has done and put some money into restoring the exteriors of their buildings. We can hope!

Happy Holidays, everyone!

MasseyTowerXmasFinalContrast2.jpg

Last edited:
will we ever see snow that clean on Yonge Street?
or even snow at all?

This one is still in the planning process. It has not been approved. I wonder if the final version will be taller or shorter. It makes sense to me that the city will support this development, due to the preservation work being done by MOD, but you never know.

Can anyone in the know give an update?

Looks like snow but i think it's just the left over mounds of salt the building owners throw down every time we get flurries.

Back