This is very similar to Theatre Park - rejected for being too tall at 45 stories - now under construction at 47 stories

from today's National Post.....

City Planners Oppose King West Tower

Prominent Toronto architect Peter Clewes and condo king Brad J. Lamb are facing off with city planners who oppose building a 45-storey tower in the heart of the theatre district.

Mr. Lamb, a prolific salesman turned developer, believes the soaring structure will be a jewel in Toronto's high-rise crown. He and Mr. Clewes of architectsAlliance have teamed up with Niche Development, HarHay Construction Management to create 224 King St. W. with a public park on what is now a parking lot, next to the Royal Alexandra Theatre.

City staff, however, have given the project an "aggressive no," as local councillor Adam Vaughan puts it, because they say the height matches nothing in the neighbourhood and could set a precedent for demolishing historical buildings in the King-Spadina corridor.

"There's lots of good things about the project, the way it steps back from King Street and gives the Royal Alex a really dignified position on the street, the public square next to it," said Mr. Vaughan (Trinity-Spadina), who called the building beautiful. "I've talked to David Mirvish, and a place for the theatre crowd to gather and mill about is wonderful."

He said the difficulty is that the building will rise in a very tight space, between Duncan and Simcoe streets, and could present "significant consequences" for the heritage buildings in the neighbourhood.

"Once you hand out that kind of density on a site with heritage buildings, it makes economic sense to demolish," he said. And it sets a precedent on King Street, Mr. Vaughan argues, which will open the floodgates to requests for 40-storey plus condos "and it's impossible to say no."

Mr. Clewes-- of 18 Yorkville and Tip Top Lofts fame-- says as the city intensifies, King West is the next logical area to develop. Both he and Mr. Lamb consider the height a "non issue" because there are a stack of approved tall buildings in the vicinity, including the 66-storey Shangri-La at University and Richmond, a 38-storey building at John and Mercer streets, the Ritz Carlton and the 35-storey Boutique building where residents are currently moving in.

As for threatening the future of historical buildings, "our submission is that they are protected under heritage legislation," Mr. Clewes said.

"The idea was that when you're driving up to this property you wouldn't even notice it was a high rise. You would just think it was an open park and then towards the back of the lot is this high rise that doesn't even feel like it's on King Street, it feels like it's on Pearl Street," said Mr. Lamb, who said the public space in the front that would include a vertical wall of water that would freeze into an ice sculpture in the winter.

"It's a stunning beautiful piece of urban architecture from a park standpoint, and then there's no tower like this in the city," he said.

The plan is to build six suites per floor, with 9.5 to 10 foot ceilings, and prices ranging from $350,000 to $2.5-million, or about $600 a square foot.

"We want it to be the most beautiful residential piece of architecture in the city," said Mr. Lamb, who believes city planners are "wildly wrong" about what the building should be. "It would be a shame to build something in the order of 15 to 20 storeys, and fill the whole thing in like a big ugly block."

The proposal will be debated at next week's Toronto East York community council. The developers say they have already filed an appeal to the Ontario Municipal Board, in case council sides with the planners.

check out the site plan on page 24 on the staff report. Looks very similar to Massey in terms of proximity to adjacent buildings.

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-27649.pdf

Last edited:
Could they not try and by the bank building to the north then move the whole tower slightly to the north sort of straddling the two bank buildings, then they would have setbacks on both sides. Just have to pay the owner of the north building a sweet penny i'd assume, unless the guy is really out of country and has no ideas what is going on, they may be able to steal it from him, lol.

Could they not try and by the bank building to the north then move the whole tower slightly to the north sort of straddling the two bank buildings, then they would have setbacks on both sides. Just have to pay the owner of the north building a sweet penny i'd assume, unless the guy is really out of country and has no ideas what is going on, they may be able to steal it from him, lol.

National Post.....from about a year ago. Heritage buildings threatened by neglect

E.J. Lennox, architect of Old City Hall and the Ontario Legislature, designed 205 Yonge Street as the Bank of Toronto, a precursor to TD Bank. Some call this our finest example of Beaux-Arts architecture. The building boasts four huge columns topped by a richly sculpted crown of stone. The aluminum-covered dome roof resembles an observatory. The banking hall, with its columns and mosaics, is a show-stopper. The building later became home to Heritage Toronto, until the city sold it in 2003 to Irish businessman John Cavannah. Today, an Irish flag flutters on the roof line and pigeon poop speckles the columns. The Downtown Yonge business improvement area provided a telephone number for Mr. Cavannah; a recording says, “The customer you are calling is unavailable at the moment.â€

Last edited:
the project will be approved as-is. neither of your two proposed options (purchase nor redesign) will come to pass.

Permission to take your time-machine for a quick spin? Kinda curious to see what my future wife looks like.

Two bank buildings

That what I was proposing on this forum about two years ago...

From chatter on the thread earlier, it was clear that MOD tried to buy this but the owner refused to sell.

Called Massey Tower staff, they said it was all rumors, and that the construction would start in less than a year, lol I even mentioned the report and they said the project is going ahead just fine. Go figure.

Called Massey Tower staff, they said it was all rumors, and that the construction would start in less than a year, lol I even mentioned the report and they said the project is going ahead just fine. Go figure.

Approvals will be dealt with at the Community Council on February 26th. Given the overwhelming public support and the community benefits, the developer seems to be optimistic that the Council will approve the development.

With the power of money and having right contacts in the political world you would be surprised as to what can be done and how impossible can become possible. :)

Given the strong, almost inflexible reasoning of the planning report, I'm surprised by the apparent confidence--bordering on cockiness--of the developer/sales team. Almost seems like a collision between the immovable object and the irresistible force. Be interesting to see which one wins.

If this is not approved, developers will likely take a step back in property purchases, design and sales before approval. It appears a ton of money was spent on this project already
under the assumption from talks with the main players involved, that they would get the go ahead. I can imagine the heated phone calls if it's not approved. It would be sad to see
those buildings left again for another 75 years.

How can city council go ahead and approve it in light of the planning report? It seems there are a number of concerns. The city planners are just implementing the official plan and related guidelines that were adopted by the province and the city. It seems to be me that if this gets approved than the whole planning process is a joke. I don't want to see these buildings left stagnant either but developers are very experienced - they know the official plan; they know the guidelines for development and tall towers. They should have considered this before purchasing the property and come up with a design that conforms to the official plan and guidelines rather than just assuming they can just ignore it.

I gather that has been done before. The developers must have some inside information to go this far, considering the planning guidelines. I'm sure they are well aware of the restrictions, yet went ahead anyway. It's a
great project and most of us want to see it go ahead, so maybe overwhelming public support will work in their favour. It does seem a bit odd though.

Back