Does every building need a retail component? Sometimes I think some people go too far in expecting a retail in every condo.

On downtown Yonge, yes. I'm also on the side that the former bank would have made a better retail space and the planned retail space, the condo entrance.

Having a luxury condo with a lobby to rival that of a high-end hotel should be encouraged in the core.
For the prices of these units, I would like to have private lobby if I could afford them as opposed to sharing my entrance with shoppers.

This is hardly a luxury condo, it's a typical, run-of-the mill building - but I do like this project, so make no mistake.

This may not end up OTT luxurious à la TrumpFourSeasonsRitzgri-La, but come on, it is not a typical run-of-the-mill building. There is space for gradations in the market, and while some suites may be small, this building will still be on the 'up' side.

To have guests walking through your bedroom to the one bathroom in the unit is quite bad. Buildings with a lot of awkward units like that may stagnate or decline after a few decades, no matter how great the architecture and interior common spaces may be.

With the exception of one (or maybe two) suites, all are very well designed.

To say this building is “run-of the-mill†is ridiculous. Let’s see, 4 BILD awards including the coveted “Project of the Year†award and “High-Rise Building Design†award.

City Place is average. Massey Tower? I don’t think so…

Don't recall where I read it but I'm pretty sure they will be using curtain wall, at least on the north wall.

There's about 20% spandrel on the elevations and that's maninly around the balcony doors

To say this building is “run-of the-mill” is ridiculous. Let’s see, 4 BILD awards including the coveted “Project of the Year” award and “High-Rise Building Design” award.

A little off topic.. But I originally shared your views on Cityplace. But after much reflection, the buildings to the west of Spadina (including Parade) are some of the better examples of new architecture in the city. If you put them in the core or downtown west beside the rest of the stock built in the last 5 years they would shine. However, there place separate and apart from the rest of the core offers them up as an easy microcosm of the entire angst vis a vis the condo boom.

A little off topic.. But I originally shared your views on Cityplace. But after much reflection, the buildings to the west of Spadina (including Parade) are some of the better examples of new architecture in the city. If you put them in the core or downtown west beside the rest of the stock built in the last 5 years they would shine. However, there place separate and apart from the rest of the core offers them up as an easy microcosm of the entire angst vis a vis the condo boom.

I do agree to some extent; I particularly like LUNA a lot, and believe it to be Concord Adex's best building in Toronto so far.
Parade is debatable, because it's being outshined by the Rental building next to it, as well as the Library building.
Unfortunately, the two projects currently under construction by Concord west of the Spadina (Quartz & Spectra) just kill every good they've done. They are extremely horrible.

To say this building is “run-of the-mill” is ridiculous. Let’s see, 4 BILD awards including the coveted “Project of the Year” award and “High-Rise Building Design” award.

I beg to differ, I think these units are horrible and the word "luxury" will never be used in connection to these units or this building - except perhaps by marketing people, who will say anything to sell these very poorly designed units.

Check them out yourself. Floorplans

Seems to me like those units are not designed for people planning to have guests over. They're pretty much ensuite bathrooms. There be no "guest bathroom". I'm not sure who would need such a unit. A pied-a-terre?

Single people who work downtown and go out a lot?

I know lots of single people who work downtown and go out a LOT and none of them live in spaces like that. When you factor in the cost, it starts to feel like a rip-off. Developers...

The entrance and some of the common areas for the building are unique (inside the former Canadian Bank of Commerce), the tower and overall plan appears really good, the location rocks but everything else seems standard to me, and there's not a single "livable" suite that I like if I was looking to buy. Perhaps the penthouses will be better designed but I don't like any of the existing layouts. "Luxury" is loosely thrown around by developers. When I think of "luxury" (downtown) I think of a half dozen buildings in the Yorkville area, Shangri-La, Ritz & Trump.

Some of the unit layouts remind me of hotel rooms. I'm single and go out a lot, but at the end of the day i want to come home to something that actually looks like a "home" and not a temporary accommodation. Other than layouts i do love the look of this tower!

Back