There seems to be a new website design for mirvish-village.com, it's kinda cool.

Really great website... thanks for posting @abovegrade . I love me some eye candy so here's some screenshots from your link:
https://mirvish-village.com/retail/the-kitchen

Mirvish-1.jpg

Mirvish-3-livemusic.jpg

Mirvish-4.jpg

Mirvish-2.jpg

Mirvish-overhead.jpg

Slightly better (?) view looking east (same as the one already in the database):
Mirvish-look-east.jpg

New Affordable Rental Homes at 500 Bloor Street West​

In Spring 2023, 85 new affordable rental homes are opening at 500 Bloor Street West (Mirvish Village).

Westbank has released an Expression of Interest (EOI) for 37 new affordable rental homes. These studio, one-, two- and three-bedroom homes are located in a new master-planned community (Mirvish Village) with rents set at $1,004, $1,185, $1,396 and $1,608 per month.

An additional 48 homes will be filled through community not-for-profit housing partners.

For more information about the EOI and the selection process, please visit the Mirvish Village website. Opens in new window

The deadline for responses is March 6, 2023 at 5 p.m. EST.

LINK - https://mirvish-village.com/affordable-rental-portal
Still thinking about applying for a unit here in the mirvish village high-rise affordable apartments. My monthly income is $2,000 a month.

Still thinking about applying for a unit here in the mirvish village high-rise affordable apartments. My monthly income is $2,000 a month.
STUDIO might qualify, but at $1,004 per month (plus Utilities) - they might be targeting household income MINIMUMS starting at approx. ~$40,000 / year.

You may alternatively qualify for a unit via one of their Not-for-Profit partners, if your household income in below $26,000 / year --- but we don't have any details on that part of the application process.

STUDIO might qualify, but at $1,004 per month (plus Utilities) - they might be targeting household income MINIMUMS starting at approx. ~$40,000 / year.

You may alternatively qualify for a unit via one of their Not-for-Profit partners, if your household income in below $26,000 / year --- but we don't have any details on that part of the application process.
Thanks for the

I understand your comment about this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those look like some seriously small windows? And no balconies for some units? Have floor plans been released yet?

Those small windows & no balconies seem like they could be concerning as far as being comfortable units to live in potentially(?). Just thinking of the heat island effect and during shoulder months (spring & autumn) when CAC isn't turned on, some units (in other buildings elsewhere at least) have reached ~80 to 85+F / 27 to 29C.

Those small windows & no balconies seem like they could be concerning as far as being comfortable units to live in potentially(?). Just thinking of the heat island effect and during shoulder months (spring & autumn) when CAC isn't turned on, some units (in other buildings elsewhere at least) have reached ~80 to 85+F / 27 to 29C.
These units, especially the "Affordable Rental" units need to meet a very high GREEN standard for design & energy use in order to qualify for funding-supports from the City and the Federal government... Balconies would make that GREEN standard much harder to reach.

This would be true for those buildings configured with a two-pipe (supply and return) fan coil equipment heating and cooling system - which can only operate one way at a time, either heating for the entire building, or cooling, but not both at the same time.

Two other options are a four pipe (independent hot and cold water supply and return) fan coil system, or a heat pump based system. While the initial construction capital costs are greater, a four pipe system provides much greater flexibility for buildings (such as ours) which have either a cold side (long northern exposure facing), or would be subject to areas of increased solar gain in the winter. In such buildings, both the heating and cooling systems can operate year round.

The heat pump option involves a building wide water loop which is maintained at a constant temperature year round. The individual units have thermostat controlled heat pumps, which can either heat or cool the unit at the resident's choice, at any time of the year. When heating is required, the heat pump extracts heat from the water loop, heating the room. When cooling is required, the heat pump extracts heat from the air, and rejects it into the water loop. The main building heating / cooling system is used to maintain the constant year round temperature of the water loop.

The main disadvantages of the heat pump system would be that as part of the unit, it is the unit owners responsibility to maintain, repair or replace as required - they are far more expensive than a fan coil unit, and secondarily, they use far more electricity than fan coil units. So while maintenance fees would be reduced (not having to pay for the greater energy consumption of the building wide heating and cooling systems), the unit's electricity consumption costs would be increased over a comparable fan coil heated / cooled unit.

My guess would be that the Mirvish Village buildings may be using heat pumps, which if so would provide the necessary cooling capacity.

I'm excited about this project. I've just been going through this discussion board -- thanks @HousingNowTO for the helpful responses.

I read on Storeys that the other units will start to become available in the spring on a first come first serve basis. Does anyone know what the rental rates will be?

Also, are four-bedroom units still happening?

I'm excited about this project. I've just been going through this discussion board -- thanks @HousingNowTO for the helpful responses.

I read on Storeys that the other units will start to become available in the spring on a first come first serve basis. Does anyone know what the rental rates will be?

Also, are four-bedroom units still happening?
I heard about no four bedroom units in the mirvish village condo development. Only ranging from studios to 3 bedroom apartments. Studios starting at $1,004 , 1 bedroom $1,185 etc. You can find more in the link below:

If the question is about the market rate housing, they don't let you inquire about 4 bedroom units if you register... just up to 3 bedrooms. I registered a long time ago and have heard nothing. i would imagine a 3 bedroom market-rate unit would run you $4500/month.

And if they're maxing out at 1048 square feet like the affordable units, that's a lot of bedrooms to squeeze into that amount of space.
Oof, that's nearly 3x the affordable units!

I remember the initial documentation said there would a small amount of four bedrooms (~1%), but there's nothing about that on the current website.

Back