mirvish-067.jpg

AFFORDABLE HOUSING COLLABORATION​

Blackhurst Welcomes You to The New Mirvish Village!

The Blackhurst Cultural Centre, in collaboration with Woodgreen Community Services and Westbank Corp., has been afforded 12 units of Affordable Housing as part of 48 homes which were allocated to local non-profit agencies to address specific demographic needs. As a Black-led organization, the Blackhurst Cultural Centre is proud to have been one of the visionaries in this framework designed to create spaces for Black cultural creators. BCC is proud to partner with Woodgreen and their leadership in providing opportunities for affordable space in Toronto. This initiative builds on the belief, “We are who we are because of others.”

Nice to see that Markham is getting closer to reopening!

Seeing it brings back memories in a weird, unexpected way - there's some areas of the city that are so tied to a part of one's life that seeing them after a long time feels sad. The magic that used to animate those spaces is gone. Obviously, new things will come, and I'm glad they kept Markham like this, but oh boy ... time does a number on you sometimes, doesn't it?

Nice to see that Markham is getting closer to reopening!

Seeing it brings back memories in a weird, unexpected way - there's some areas of the city that are so tied to a part of one's life that seeing them after a long time feels sad. The magic that used to animate those spaces is gone. Obviously, new things will come, and I'm glad they kept Markham like this, but oh boy ... time does a number on you sometimes, doesn't it?

There's something about the Bloor Annex area that inherently evokes such images. I think it's the combination of youthful enthusiasm in the area with presence of nearby U of T. Along with what's often revered as one of the more expansive collections of the Toronto Victorian vernacular. In addition to the collection of Uno Prii buildings, and the thriving retail strip on Bloor.

Focusing in on Markham Street though, I think in a city like Toronto where retail activity is more often than not constricted linearly to the main throughfares, having smaller but meaningful pockets of them along side streets becomes extra notable. Similar to Kensington, Baldwin Village, Yorkville, Geary, Portland Street, and to a lesser degree Elm Street (between Bay and Yonge), and brief sections of Clinton Street (just south of College) and Dovercourt (south of Dundas, although it's really just Pizzeria Badiali and Bernhardt's).

Last edited:
When I first moved to Toronto I lived at Yonge and Eglinton (it was really different back then) but I was laser focused on eventually living in the annex, which I managed to do for about 15 years until having a kid made me leave for more affordable space. I didn't care about Honest Ed's, but Markham street was a pretty special part of the neighbourhood. I'm excited to see what happens with it.

And I'm not in the annex now, but living close to Bloor W again, and I'm loving it.

I never lived in the Annex, but I spent a ton of time on Markham as an undergrad and after: the victory, the butler's pantry, the beguiling, suspect video, david mirvish, honest ed's itself. It's strange to have so many memories bound up in a space that doesn't really exist any more. Live in any city long enough and it'll break your heart, i guess.

$3200 for less than 750 sq ft should be criminal. I know it's Toronto but it's ridiculous

Almost $39,000/yr in rent!

Rent is artificially high due to overly relaxed/low down payment requirements (too much leverage being passed down to the renter) and mortgage fraud. Which in turn, creates a new "floor" for the rental market.

The countrys relaxed attitude towards substandard living arrangements (as opposed to banning the advertising of roomshare/room rental ) also created "floor" of rents which eat up 80% of take home pay. I noticed the room rental culture started getting really bad around 2011, horrendous basement room rentals, bunk bed rentals, "share room" rentals. This is not somthing that should be permitted to be advertised in a first world country.

"If rooms with no ensuite bathroom are going for $900 a month. Then I should be able to charge $2700 a month for a condo" Allowing the room slumlording was opening pandoras box. So was the mortgage fraud and the CRAs failure to create a system to check all documents.

And so we've ended up with more money going into unproductive real estate and less towards real economic growth/local business etc. And a city where everythings closing earlier.

Last edited:
Rent is artificially high due to overly relaxed/low down payment requirements (too much leverage being passed down to the renter) and mortgage fraud. Which in turn, creates a new "floor" for the rental market.

The countrys relaxed attitude towards substandard living arrangements (as opposed to banning the advertising of roomshare/room rental ) also created "floor" of rents which eat up 80% of take home pay. I noticed the room rental culture started getting really bad around 2011, horrendous basement room rentals, bunk bed rentals, "share room" rentals. This is not somthing that should be permitted to be advertised in a first world country.

"If rooms with no ensuite bathroom are going for $900 a month. Then I should be able to charge $2700 a month for a condo" Allowing the room slumlording was opening pandoras box. So was the mortgage fraud and the CRAs failure to create a system to check all documents.

And so we've ended up with more money going into unproductive real estate and less towards real economic growth/local business etc. And a city where everythings closing earlier.
Edit: responded in the appropriate thread.

Back