Dec 6
Only 2 more bays to be installed to complete the parking structure and could see service by the summer.
53392674275_4bd3047d5d_b.jpg

53392234616_6ddf16f74e_b.jpg

53391311477_380d2741a9_b.jpg

53392422373_09eac0c8ce_b.jpg

They've got the one at credit valley but I don't think there'll be one here.
There was no land or room at this site and why there is one at CV. CV was built in farmland before development started to happen around it.

Since the new hospital is going to be 14 floors, a good option of adding a roof pad to it. With the towers around the area of the new hospital, flight path will see some issues with most options flying over low density houses of NIMBY folks.

They fly close to my place, and you can hear it coming to/from CV and noise which I have no issue with it.

There was no land or room at this site and why there is one at CV. CV was built in farmland before development started to happen around it.

Since the new hospital is going to be 14 floors, a good option of adding a roof pad to it. With the towers around the area of the new hospital, flight path will see some issues with most options flying over low density houses of NIMBY folks.

They fly close to my place, and you can hear it coming to/from CV and noise which I have no issue with it.
Rather than at M-site, I would rather see one at the planned full hospital to be built on the Queensway site. That way they are spread out a little and provide good coverage. If they can land on two lane road, they can land on a hospital roof or other narrow footprint- it just needs to be designed to handle the weight and have the appropriate decking, lighting, windsock and TC certification.

I hear them occasionally going into Credit Valley. If I hear them right over the house, they are normally around 1500ft and on their way somewhere else.

Rather than at M-site, I would rather see one at the planned full hospital to be built on the Queensway site. That way they are spread out a little and provide good coverage. If they can land on two lane road, they can land on a hospital roof or other narrow footprint- it just needs to be designed to handle the weight and have the appropriate decking, lighting, windsock and TC certification.

I hear them occasionally going into Credit Valley. If I hear them right over the house, they are normally around 1500ft and on their way somewhere else.

I'm not familiar with that area so I can't comment on which site would be appropriate or not, but I do have experience with both surface level and roof top hospital heliports.

The actual landing deck system for a roof top hospital heliport can be done at a relatively reasonable cost, especially if incorporated during the planning stage of a new building.

If I recall correctly, the helideck system at St Mikes in Toronto was about US$250,000. I checked and they now start at US$410,000.

Sunnybrook and St. Mikes roof top heliports were both added to existing structures. The additional cost issue with existing structures is access (the heliport requires an elevator to service the roof). Much easier to add to a pre construction plan.

The other consideration is the approach departure corridor.

It is advantageous for flight operations to have two corridors allowing approach / departure from either the east or the west.

There must be zoning controls to ensure no obstructions are built encroaching on the corridors.

This 2016 look at the IWK rooftop shows an excellent example of ideal approach departure corridors (marked ARR/DEP). Built on an older structure, IWK used the same deck system as St. Mikes.

IWK CFS.jpeg

I'm guessing that incorporating a heliport has already been given consideration, but bottom line, if there is deemed to be a future need for a heliport at Mississauga Hospital, now is the time to include it in the plan.

Rob

Last edited:

The problem is I am not sure if the Queensway will ever been a "full" hospital - with a 24/7 ER. Helipads access are for the services offered at the site, and less about geographical coverage (when dealing with an urban area).

AoD

Jan 12
5 more floors to be installed for the last bay

Once this open, the old one can be torn down.

What will happen to the residences of that nursing home if they are not move to the old student residences building that is currently being modify??

Then there is the issue of the medical building as where do they relocate it.
53460462414_b599f80103_b.jpg

53460154946_94befa5ab7_b.jpg

53460154931_42d6793059_b.jpg

53460462379_178c754b90_b.jpg

In respect of the discussion above about helipads; my understanding is that for urban areas, the MoH policy had been that they are added to regional trauma centres (Sunnybrook and St. Mikes as well as Sick Kids for pediatric), not other acute care hospitals.

I would argue the GTA is ripe for at least one additional Regional Trauma Centre, if not 2, with the likely locations being Peel Region and York Region, but I'm not aware of any move to designate these sites as such.

This is the current list of facilities in Ontario of this type, several are actually a step down from the level of care at Sunnybrook, etc. But are far enough away they are the go-to for trauma in their area.

1705154954955.png

In addition to the core GTA, I feel like Royal Victoria in Barrie should probably be looked at for a similar designation. The distance between cottage country and high quality trauma care is substantial; and Royal Victoria has many of the desired facilities now, and serves a large area.

Last edited:
The redevelopment will include the construction of a Women and Children's Hospital, per a recent news article.

I don't keep up on all the Mississauga threads the way I should..........

* Note, the link above does not go to an article ; but ya got me looking for info.

So.......I found this:

From which we learn that they are marketing this as a women and children's hospital, but .....its really 2 floors out of the main hospital building, with a focus on certain care aimed at women (obstetrics etc.) as well as pediatric care.

This is the explainer bit:

1705155390564.png

A lot of this can be found in most larger community and teaching hospitals; but the program sounds a bit more robust, and they've maybe done a bit more to co-locate some services than in the past.

It is my understanding that the hospital will have the largest ER in the GTA on a 7 x 24 base as well as a Trauma Centre including operating rooms.

As for the women and children hospital, I don't expect it will be a standalone building, but a section of the main building.

As for the Helipads, I forgot this is to be 24 floors not the 14 I noted and would be the tallest in the area to allow it to be on the roof. At this point, the Helipads could come in from a 360-degree radius with the north been ruled out over time as development takes place for Hurontario.

It is my understanding that the hospital will have the largest ER in the GTA on a 7 x 24 base as well as a Trauma Centre including operating rooms.

Good to know.

As for the women and children hospital, I don't expect it will be a standalone building, but a section of the main building.

I already reported this above, it is 2 floors of the main building.

Good to know.

I already reported this above, it is 2 floors of the main building.
I heard it was more than 2 floors coming from the ward councilor.

In respect of the discussion above about helipads; my understanding is that for urban areas, the MoH policy had been that they are added to regional trauma centres (Sunnybrook and St. Mikes as well as Sick Kids for pediatric), not other acute care hospitals.

I would argue the GTA is ripe for at least one additional Regional Trauma Centre, if not 2, with the likely locations being Peel Region and York Region, but I'm not aware of any move to designate these sites as such.

This is the current list of facilities in Ontario of this type, several are actually a step down from the level of care at Sunnybrook, etc. But are far enough away they are the go-to for trauma in their area.

View attachment 532981

In addition to the core GTA, I feel like Royal Victoria in Barrie should probably be looked at for a similar designation. The distance between cottage country and high quality trauma care is substantial; and Royal Victoria has many of the desired facilities now, and serves a large area.

I can't comment on the current MOH policies for hospital heliports, but past practices have included several urban hospitals.

In my pre retirement career I was the EMS helicopter operations advisor for the planning and implementation of hospital heliports (in the GTA - St. Michaels rooftop, Sunnybrook rooftop, Markham Stouffville, Credit Valley).

Hospital heliports such as Ajax Pickering, Markham Stouffville and Credit Valley are approximately the same distance to Toronto as the Mississauga Hospital and their heliports were funded many years ago.

My EMS flight experience with Ajax, Markham and Credit Valley was the frequent use of their heliports to transport critical patients from their hospitals to trauma centres in Toronto. The only inbound use was for HSC's Neonatal Transport Team who were then subsequently flown outbound with the newborn.

As @drum118 pointed out, being located on the roof of the tallest building in the area with approach departure from almost 360-degrees is rare and absolutely perfect for flight operations.

The costs for a rooftop hospital heliport if included in the pre construction design should be less than $1m.

Not my world, but for something that can make a critical difference to patient outcomes, $1m sounds like a budget rounding error for a 24 story building.

I'm glad to see the topic being discussed.

Back