Once the Dundas BRT is built, it will be faster to use the LRT and the BRT to/from Kipling than the Transitway to/from CCTT even with transferring.
Once line 5 opens I imagine many transitway travellers will benefit from Eglinton as an alternate route into Toronto. Take for example approximate travel time Renforth to St. George:

Bloor Route: 36+ mins to St George
MiWay / GO: 13+ minute bus ride Renforth to Kipling
Line 2: 23 minute train ride (12km, 15 stops) to St George

Eglinton Route: ~26 mins to St George
Line 5: ~17 minute train ride (13km, 11 stops) to Eglinton West
Line 1: 9 minute train ride (5km, 4 stops) to St George

Once line 5 opens I imagine many transitway travellers will benefit from Eglinton as an alternate route into Toronto. Take for example approximate travel time Renforth to St. George:

Bloor Route: 36+ mins to St George
MiWay / GO: 13+ minute bus ride Renforth to Kipling
Line 2: 23 minute train ride (12km, 15 stops) to St George

Eglinton Route: ~26 mins to St George
Line 5: ~17 minute train ride (13km, 11 stops) to Eglinton West
Line 1: 9 minute train ride (5km, 4 stops) to St George
Bulk of the riders will not be using Line 5 unless they are taking line 1 to it by either Yonge or Spadina section. Need to allow the extra travel time.

I will be using Line 5 to get to Yonge when I do my photo shoot of the area, otherwise out out my way.

From miWay Kipling to Yonge is a 7 minute walk to the subway plus 1-5 minute wait for a train based on time of day and day of the week and a 30 minute trip to Yonge from my timing of it. Then there is the travel time to Bloor/Yonge.

The problem isn't travelling on the 407, the problem is the station accesses. Its great, GO Busses are able to fly down the 407 at high speeds never worried about traffic, but the moment the bus has to leave the 407 to serve a Park and Ride or a GO/TTC Station, everything goes downhill. Existing park and rides don't have infrastructure that is optimized for busses to immediately access upon leaving the highway, meaning every additional station/stop easily adds 5-10m of end to end travel time, and also means that GO has to further rely on various express services to skip stops to keep longer distance trips at reasonable travel times. By building a transitway where serving a stop only requires the bus to briefly stop at a platform, that 5-10m runtime penalty is reduced to 30s, to say it would result in massive travel time and operational improvements is an understatement.

I will add on by saying that there is a great example of a bus saving time by skipping stations. Look at the 41/41A for example, the regular route services RHC in between Consumers Rd and Highway 407 Station, but the 41A skipping it saves a whole 10-20 mins of time entirely going directly to those stops (depending on time of day).
There are a few places where better highway-to-station accesses would go a long way.

Having only a partial interchange at Bramalea Road causes pain for lot of bus passengers at what should be a prime intermodal hub. The 407 charges a fortune to GO for using the highway though, so I wonder if Metrolinx wants to bake it in further.
This 407/Bramalea interchange is the only thing that stops the travel between Square One and Union via Bramalea GO the best one. When the 410 and Steeles runs well, along with the 30 min train service, it could be faster than taking a direct bus or travelling to Port Credit for the LW train.

After having been to Ottawa, I was inspired by what I say with their own bus transitway. There is so much room for improvement for the Mississauga transitway. There needs to be a grade separated, bus lanes that runs by Square One. Has there been any consideration by the Ontario government to purchase the Playdium land and turn it into a proper transitway station? Have the bus lanes tunnel under Hurontario until it connects with the existing Transitway. Allowing buses to completely bypass Rathburn.

- Design the SquareOne Transitway Station in a similar fashion as Tunney's Pasture in Ottawa. Direct connections with MiWay buses. New bus loop.
- West of the station have the bus lanes below ground level, running parallel with City Centre. The lanes would go under Duke of York and Station Gate. Construct bridges for both roads to go over the transitway.
- East of the station, tunnel the lanes under Hurontario, LRT and the on/off ramps and then bring the lanes back up until it connects with the existing transitway lanes.

Tunney's Pasture.png

MississaugaTransitwayImprovements(1).png

In before, "you can't just draw lines on a map, blah blah blah."

After having been to Ottawa, I was inspired by what I say with their own bus transitway. There is so much room for improvement for the Mississauga transitway. There needs to be a grade separated, bus lanes that runs by Square One. Has there been any consideration by the Ontario government to purchase the Playdium land and turn it into a proper transitway station? Have the bus lanes tunnel under Hurontario until it connects with the existing Transitway. Allowing buses to completely bypass Rathburn.

- Design the SquareOne Transitway Station in a similar fashion as Tunney's Pasture in Ottawa. Direct connections with MiWay buses. New bus loop.
- West of the station have the bus lanes below ground level, running parallel with City Centre. The lanes would go under Duke of York and Station Gate. Construct bridges for both roads to go over the transitway.
- East of the station, tunnel the lanes under Hurontario, LRT and the on/off ramps and then bring the lanes back up until it connects with the existing transitway lanes.

View attachment 574762

View attachment 574761

In before, "you can't just draw lines on a map, blah blah blah."
This I agree with and something the City and ML are looking at or supposed to be. Hazel couldn't find the $20 Million to tunnel under Hurontario St to the underground Station at CCTT that was build in the 90's for it when it came time to built the Transitway.

I been pushing for over 15 years to move CCTT closer to Hurontario for the LRT and better access to the Transitway that can handle 150,000 riders a day considering we are close to 70,000's today, if not more.

The New underground station is to support short tunning of GO Buses as well doing layover. Since this is part Square One District Lands, development needs to be built over the Transitway

The transitway Transit Terminal is supposed to be underground on either one side or another for Station Gate/GO Terminal. How to get to the northside is another story as it was proposed over a decade ago to use an elevated overpass for Duke of York to connect to the new North Service road with the Transitway being next to it. Another option would see a tunnel under the 403 to the north Transitway to fill in the missing link.

Using that block as noted, it puts GO and miWay on the northside of the LRT Station and all of transit in one location. You can even put development over all of the transit station

To do any of this boils down to money to build it, cost of the land OMERS wants for it as well give up and why I am pushing for development over the whole transit including the tunnel section as it becomes a win win for everyone.

Last edited:

Back