Even ignoring the area's promising future, it's safe, close to downtown's employment and greatest attractions, and has great public spaces and the unique geography of the waterfront.

Even ignoring the area's promising future, it's safe, close to downtown's employment and greatest attractions, and has great public spaces and the unique geography of the waterfront.

As noted above it is also not well served by public transit And THAT'S a big drawback. (Which is why the developers continue to nag the City and WT about building the proposed LRT on Queen's Quay.

The promised LRT on Queens Quay. Hines' contract for Bayside commits the City to building the LRT. I wonder if lawyers are already engaged in that regard.

Clearly the area will be a highly sought after place once more infrastructure, both public and private, has arrived. If the public gets that, then Monde will sell. It's up to Great Gulf and Hines/Tridel to communicate that in their marketing.

The promised LRT on Queens Quay. Hines' contract for Bayside commits the City to building the LRT. I wonder if lawyers are already engaged in that regard.

Clearly the area will be a highly sought after place once more infrastructure, both public and private, has arrived. If the public gets that, then Monde will sell. It's up to Great Gulf and Hines/Tridel to communicate that in their marketing.

The LRT was also promised back in July 2007 when City Council agreed to allow TEDCO to transfer the Corus Lands. The minutes read that "an operational LRT from Union Station to Parliament Street, along Queen’s Quay East by December 31, 2011" Clearly this deadline was missed!

No I don't think so ...

The commitment was only for the commercial phase, and it wasn't a commitment, rather, they do not have to go ahead with the commercial development without the LRT (or the like). Back in the day building the residential was contingent on the commercial (i.e. office) also going up at the same time.

They no longer have to build the commercial ... I'm sure they'll try to market it (they already are).

Yes, Monde and the other QQE developments may sell but I bet they would sell far better (and at higher prices) if the QQE LRT was built or imminent. This explains why all the developers are pressing WT and the City to get on with it whether or not they are legally obliged to do so.

One of the early mantras of WT was "transit first" to encourage buyers to live without a (daily) car from Day 1. They may achieve this with the West Don Lands where the streetcar on Cherry Street should open about the time the first units get occupied by tenants/owners (2016) but they will clearly need to get on with it if they are to achieve this on QQE.
Bus transit on QQE is not going to work well because the real problem is going north to Union Station and the subway, the QQE Transit EA showed quite clearly that trying to run buses or LRT on the already overcrowded streets will simply not achieve anything - one needs a tunnel and that means that the existing tunnel and Union Station loop need to be expanded (which is, of course, the expensive part of a QQE LRT line.)

From WT DRP Meeting on May 8:
...the podium has been reduced by two storeys and six storeys have been added to tower with a net change of 4-storeys and no change the GFA...

Summary of the Panel’s Key Issues
The Acting Chair then summarized the recommendations of the Panel:
1) While there are four fronts to the project, the south façade should act as the primary façade and create a real “address” on Queens Quay, which requires more work be done on the façade.
The Panel unanimously voted for conditional support pending resolution of the key issue above.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/wdrp_minutes_may_2013_final_1.pdf

Not sure why the DRP feels that the south face of the building needs to be the "main face". Why does the main face of the project have to be on Queen's Quay when it clearly faces and predominantly runs along Sherbourne Common?

That said, I felt as though the ziggurat chipped-away elevation of the podium facing Queen's Quay serves as a very strongly defined entrance/"face" to the building.

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 13 227411 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Aug 28, 2013

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: Proposal for a mixed-use 44 storey condominium. Scope of work includes a 9 storey podium, 549 units, 1061 m2 non-res, 380 Parking Spots, & 555 Bike parking spots.

Is this going to be the tallest building on the Central Waterfront? (and by waterfront, I mean south of the Gardiner) Oh wait, the tower by Tridel, on York, will be over 20 storeys taller, so I guess this will be second tallest. It will be taller than the Harbour Castle Hotel, right?

I really hope this gets built. It is a unique building.

The Harbour Plaza Residences towers will also be taller, and two of the Pinnacle Centre towers already are taller.

If it goes ahead anything like proposed, then there will be several taller towers at 1 Yonge. I expect taller towers to also be applied for at a number of sites between 1 Yonge and Monde.

Monde is running a lot of Ads in the elevator monitors of 1CP and presumably other downtown towers. Hopefully this is picking up sales.

Monde is running a lot of Ads in the elevator monitors of 1CP and presumably other downtown towers. Hopefully this is picking up sales.

What happened with this project???????!!!! Until Now it's been years is still not started construction! WT is soooo slow in developing any project.

That's not because of WT - it's because of the developer launching a premium product that's not selling as quickly as they had anticipated.

I was at the sales site last summer and I believe they didn't indicate occupancy until 2017 or 2018.

Back