Great pics, @skycandy, and man, that is a nice-looking ice surface across the street at Sherbourne Common!
Yeah, I wonder if they rent skates there anywhere? I'm going down to the waterfront to skate this weekend; looks like this rink stands a chance of being less busy. Gonna be awesome to skate down there when Queen's Quay East is built out. Damn.

Yeah, I wonder if they rent skates there anywhere? I'm going down to the waterfront to skate this weekend; looks like this rink stands a chance of being less busy. Gonna be awesome to skate down there when Queen's Quay East is built out. Damn.

I've never seen skate rentals at Sherbourne Common.

January 6, 2017:

Man this building is starting to move up fast. The 7th floor is already framed at the north (Lake Shore) end, and they're putting rebar down for the 8th floor pour. Kudos to the workmen slugging it out on such a cold -15 C day.

January 6, 2017:

Man this building is starting to move up fast. The 7th floor is already framed at the north (Lake Shore) end, and they're putting rebar down for the 8th floor pour. Kudos to the workmen slugging it out on such a cold -15 C day.

Would've been especially unbearably cold right on the waterfront today, too. God love 'em.

No rental skates AFAIK. It's also a very very small rink. Harbourfront rink is not that far away and is a much better rink IMHO. If the Sherbourne rink had been made a bit bigger, or incorporated some sort of path through the park, that would've been amazing.

DSC06018_zpsctaras4e.jpg

January 16th:
IMG_9436.JPG
IMG_9435.JPG
IMG_9429.JPG
IMG_9427.JPG
IMG_9424.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9436.JPG
    IMG_9436.JPG
    422.7 KB · Views: 411
  • IMG_9435.JPG
    IMG_9435.JPG
    361.9 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_9429.JPG
    IMG_9429.JPG
    304 KB · Views: 367
  • IMG_9427.JPG
    IMG_9427.JPG
    373.5 KB · Views: 414
  • IMG_9424.JPG
    IMG_9424.JPG
    304.5 KB · Views: 409
Has the alcove with the overhangs on the Queens Quay facade been cancelled?
Screen shot 2017-01-17 at 12.31.29 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2017-01-17 at 12.31.29 AM.png
    Screen shot 2017-01-17 at 12.31.29 AM.png
    783 KB · Views: 420
Sadly, it is all but gone. I don't understand the choice to visually emphasize those horizontals at the balcony edges and not use a metal cap or some sort of stand-off glass railing but this is what it looks like now. Still a great project but I think this horizontal treatment is a misstep:

Ugh, the insistence on balconies is ruining a design, yet again.

The new rendering of the Queens Quay facade shows something considerably blander and less remarkable than the original design. The geometric arch was a focal point of the old design and gave the podium facade a landmark quality. Besides compromising the shape of the arch, they also got rid of the subtle two-tone cladding with stripes in favour of blander monochromatic cladding.

Back