The following images appeared on the Waterfront Toronto website after the recent Design Review Meeting. I haven't found them anywhere else on UrbanToronto - so sorry, if they appear elsewhere. The design is a much more refined - with innovative balconies.

TheNewGuy

Does anyone else get the impression (from the third render) that the building looks like it tapers a bit to the south..almost in a flatiron way?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the wide-angle rendering, we can see College Park and One Bloor to East Bayfront's northeast. Funny! The only thing missing is a CN Tower standing right next to the building.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think in the wide-angle rendering, we can see College Park and One Bloor to East Bayfront's northeast. Funny! The only thing missing is a CN Tower standing right next to the building.

Wow! They used Maldive's renderings of future Toronto.. I wonder if he's aware of this.

It does look like the tower tapers in the middle.. Nice little (or not so little) Flatiron for the waterfront.

Thanks to thenewguy for tipping us off regarding progress here. Here are the new renderings again, a bit larger, and one more of them. First though, a reminder of the location of the Parkside condo within the context of the East Bayfront redevelopment area, and a replay of the old plan, one more time, for perspective.

Where everything is. That's Sherbourne Common Park running along the west side of Parkside down to the lake. Bayside is the parcel that developer Hines and architects Pelli Clarke Pelli will tackle. Dockside is the parcel where Corus Quay, George Brown College, and Sugar Beach are located. Development at Quayside has not been announced yet.

WaterfrontDevlParcels.jpg

This is what was to be. The first plan for the building showed lines of trees marching up the building's sides. Say goodbye...

ParksideOrigAerial.jpg

And say hello: Parkside has been transformed.

ParksideBeautyShot.jpg

It appears that this building's twin signatures on the skyline will be its flatiron wedge shape, and its balconies, with alternating perpendicular cantilevers. Wow. Not for those with a fear of heights.

ParksideBalconies.jpg

This is back down, firmly on the ground, looking south from Lake Shore Boulevard.

ParksideLookingSouth.jpg

At mid-block, you will be able to walk through the building.

ParksideSeeThrough.jpg

Close to the south end here, and looking north along the east side of Sherbourne Common and its water features. The Parkside building provides street-side retail and restaurant space. There are two similar views here, not quite identical. The first is the version from WaterfrontToronto, the second from Safdie Architect's website. We know which one we like better, and which one we suspect we are getting. Either way, the public realm here looks pretty terrific.

ParksidePedReality.jpg

ParksidePedDream.jpg

Let's finish it off with the new view for us: and evening look at the south end of the project, and it's ziggurat-like internal atrium.

ParksideNighttime.jpg

We are looking forward to this building coming to market.

There are two different podium designs in these new renders. Which one is final? Overall, a big improvement over the old proposal. It's much more dynamic now.

Last edited:
Wow! They used Maldive's renderings of future Toronto.. I wonder if he's aware of this.

You're right... they stole my high angle render (with the old 1 Bloor) as the background. You can even see chopped down Trump, BMO, CIBC to the right of the tower and Eglinton to North York to the upper left.

Thieves.

You're right... they stole my high angle render (with the old 1 Bloor) as the background. You can even see chopped down Trump, BMO, CIBC to the right of the tower and Eglinton to North York to the upper left.

Thieves.

Did you license your work to National Post when you had that article? Maybe the acquired the rights from them.

I wonder if there is a reason one generally doesn't put projecting balconies on buildings...

Did you license your work to National Post when you had that article? Maybe the acquired the rights from them.

No it was used with permission for that article... they hold no other rights/copyright.

From: http://news.nationalpost.com/2011/03/17/moshe-safdies-waterfront-tower-a-real-contender/

"The project, which comprises about 500,000 square feet, has been before the panel twice now, and the latest design is effectively final...sales of units in the mixed-use building — which will house retail space and a daycare in addition to roughly 500 residential units — are slated to begin this summer. Construction is expected to start next year, with occupancy planned for 2015."

Back