The new project has nothing to do with Diamante.

Concert is the developer.

Too bad, Diamante did such a great job with One City Hal it would have been great for them to finish off that corner.

Having a purpose built rental building is a positive aspect of the new proposal from concert. They having a number of projects in various stages of concepts/approvals that will bring a fairly significant number of rental units to the market in the next few years.

Daily Commercial News

http://www.dailycommercialnews.ca/c...3d7601092d1c&projectid=9099276&region=ontario

RENTAL APARTMENT BUILDING Proj: 9099276-4
Toronto, Metro Toronto Reg ON NEGOTIATED/PLANS COMPLETE
570 Bay St, Dundas St W, M6P
$36,000,000 est

Start: June, 2010 Complete: May, 2012
Note: Working drawings are complete. Sub trade tender and construction are expected June/July, 2010. Further update mid-June, 2010.
All enquiries regarding this project should be directed to the Owner.
Project: concrete foundation, cast-in-place concrete structural frame, fuel fired heating system, proposed construction of a 30-storey apartment building, with 450 rental units. The project will include retail and ammenity space at grade level. This project will seek certification under the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Green Building Rating System.
Scope: 330,000 square feet; 30 storeys; 2 storeys below grade; 450 units; 1 acres
Development: New
Category: Apartment bldgs; Retail, wholesale services

First report Tue Apr 14, 2009. Last report Tue Oct 20, 2009.
This report Mon Apr 19, 2010.

Wow, thats good news....another lot bites the dust. Not many left on Bay st. from Dundas to Bloor with this development, the Sick Kids research centre and U-condos starting the dig soon.

Last edited:
How is this good news? We don't even know what it's going to look like, do we?
And Concert doesn't build the nicest looking buildings. Also, their rentals are not affordable at all, and for the prices they ask, you might as well just buy your own condo.

their rentals are not affordable at all, and for the prices they ask, you might as well just buy your own condo.

If you want to live at Bay/Dundas, you better be willing to pay for it. At that location and given the current market conditions, I would not expect these units to be "affordable" for many.

I have to admit that I am a bit worried about this building (and will remain so until I see a rendering). It will be all too easy to build some big square heavy lump of a rental building. And this corner is crying for some decent architecture and attention to detail.

I've seen some pics, but I don't know if they were official or current though. The taller portion of the building was slimmer than the base which probably preserves the view from particular vantage points.

Last edited:

Back