Plazacorpse is indeed the developer. They refused to retain the warehouse when discussions were happening - they claimed it wasn't viable. Purely a greed based argument. I don't know who the architect of this proposal is, but it's a different project than the rental housing project by Core from a few years ago.

Just in case anyone is unclear who Plazacorpse is, they are the ones responsible for the abomination known as 'King West Centre at Liberty Village'. The mammoth, painted brick, (yes, painted effing brick!?) three-headed monster next to the gardiner.

Last edited:
Based on that experience, who knows what they're gonna cram in there. And of course the application shows the requisite developer height-creep request.

Last edited:
They should be banned from the city for inflicting University Plaza on us. On the other hand, they're also responsible for the Chocolate Factory loft conversion, which would make demolishing this 5 storey warehouse even more ridiculous.

525 Adelaide is being demolished preemptively, before people are made aware of what is happening due to the launch of the new condo, so that there is little opportunity for a groundswell of opposition to the demolition of this warehouse.

This is what I hate about Toronto; greed rules and not enough people question it.

Pm me if you are interested in helping to organize something. This demolition has to be stopped.

The warehouse is difficult to integrate in any redevelopment since it doesn't have street frontage and sits in the middle of the site. Not everything can be saved either and I don't see anything noteworthy about this building aside from being an old brick and beam building. The new developments growing around it are of a better quality and Plazacorp may surprise. learning a thing or two from their recent partnerships.

Greed is everywhere so no need to single out the city. There are few places where this warehouse would be given a second thought.

525 Adelaide is being demolished preemptively, before people are made aware of what is happening due to the launch of the new condo, so that there is little opportunity for a groundswell of opposition to the demolition of this warehouse.

This is what I hate about Toronto; greed rules and not enough people question it.

Pm me if you are interested in helping to organize something. This demolition has to be stopped.

Much too late for that- the appropriate course of action is now to attend all community meetings concerning the site, in order to ensure that anything going on the site will be better than what stood there before.

The warehouse is difficult to integrate in any redevelopment since it doesn't have street frontage and sits in the middle of the site. Not everything can be saved either and I don't see anything noteworthy about this building aside from being an old brick and beam building. The new developments growing around it are of a better quality and Plazacorp may surprise. learning a thing or two from their recent partnerships.

Greed is everywhere so no need to single out the city. There are few places where this warehouse would be given a second thought.

I dont see much noteworthy either. I walk by this every day and if it you see it in person you will note different brick on different sides - brown brick on the east side red brick on the south side. Patchwork galore and not a good job of it. The only redeeming feature to me is the shape of the windows.

I think if it were worth saving Plazacorp would do so. They did a good job with the Chocolate Factory and Imperial Lofts converts. While I hate what Plazacorp did in Liberty Village (actually all of the new builds in Liberty Village are unappealing in my opinion) Ivory on Adelaide looks decent and they are proposing the Browns Lane extension, a Public Park and are working with Harhay and Context to make it a accessible space by all through Adelaide Residences. I will withold my judgement until I see a rendering for the site and agree that we should attend meetings to ensure that it is acceptable.

Last edited:
I don't know about that- the patchwork gives it more texture than the homogeneous new and shiny, and the windows could always have been replaced. There's enough room in the front for at least one condo building with a small courtyard.

I'd say that unless the new building is better than what was there before, this counts as a net negative for the area.

This makes absolutely no sense. The parking lot is more than large enough for the building.

The historic warehouse is absolutely noteworthy. The concrete add-on staircase is a scar that could be easily removed, but the base building, the brick pilasters, the corbelling at the top, the enourmous, well proportioned windows and how they are balanced in proportion from the lower storeys to the top. But most importantly, it is what this building affords to the neighbourhood that is really at stake here. This building housed many creative industries that were forced out. The kinds of activities that makes a neighbourhood and a city dynamic and diverse. This building will be replaced with relatively generic condo-culture. Devoid of history and a sense of place.

This building could easily have been incorporated into a great redevelopment with a bit of imagination. The large parking lot to the north cold still house significant density, linear visual connections to Adelaide could be maintained, pathways like the one proposed between 650 King and this proposal could still be made, except instead of a path between generic condos it would be a rich historic multi-use pathway that offers something to explore and discover.

The voids between new buildings are a pale substitute and lack all of this richness.

This a shame, and the people involved should be ashamed.

Last edited:
The historic warehouse is absolutely noteworthy. The concrete add-on staircase is a scar that could be easily removed, but the base building, the brick pilasters, the corbelling at the top, the enourmous, well proportioned windows and how they are balanced in proportion from the lower storeys to the top. But most importantly, it is what this building affords to the neighbourhood that is really at stake here. This building housed many creative industries that were forced out. The kinds of activities that makes a neighbourhood and a city dynamic and diverse. This building will be replaced with relatively generic condo-culture. Devoid of history and a sense of place.

This building could easily have been incorporated into a great redevelopment with a bit of imagination. The large parking lot to the north cold still house significant density, linear visual connections to Adelaide could be maintained, pathways like the one proposed between 650 King and this proposal could still be made, except instead of a path between generic condos it would be a rich historic multi-use pathway that offers something to explore and discover.

The voids between new buildings are a pale substitute and lack all of this richness.

This a shame, and the people involved should be ashamed.

+1!!

Unfortunately demolition has already started on the East building (closest to Adelaide Place).

Last edited:
Pic taken Mar 15, 2012

8Uadi.jpg

It looks like we're at the point in this development cycle where developers will start to tear down the larger warehouse buildings that define the area, or preserve mere echoes of them in sanitized facades. A number of structures are already marked for doom on King and Adelaide.

Back