I was never saying u did dislike it but you could also dislike away. I was merely saying I do like it, whereas it seems like the initial reaction to this pipe dream was subpar.

That said it is a pipe dream and everyone knows it so that probably does affect ppl's perceptions a little bit.
I mean, it does need refining IMO...particularly at the podium level. There's too much going on when the building's shape and colour is all that's really needed to hit this home. Also the undulating balcony business is really needless and distracting.

...of coarse, I am also saying this on the assumption they plan to go through with this, when they're likely not.

I feel like Niagara-on-the-Lake has something to model to Niagara Falls. I don't mean the rigid historicity of its core, nor its comparatively low density; but rather, a clear sense of what draws people to its downtown area; and what local residents appreciate about same.

Niagara Falls can be more open to significant size, and more open to modern architecture, while showing a greater amount of deference to cohesive architectural expression and planning (including massing, podium quality, and grade use/expression) that furthers what makes it a good place to live; and a quality tourist destination.

Some of that would be challenging to regulate; though simply incentivizing desirable choices by making them as-of-right, and reducing fees and approval times would go some distance in that direction.

Creating a design-review-panel may make sense.

Given the relatively (by Golden Horseshoe standards) low cost of much land in this area; perhaps more public ownership of key sites should also be considered in order to make appropriate development a condition of sale or lease.

There is also a need to plan for an LRT transit line in Niagara, and make sure one understands what a desirable streetscape and development pattern supporting that would look like.......as well as add some strategic lands
for parks, for moving parking further away from The Falls and placing it underground where possible, and achieving specific gains in cycling safety, retail that supports year-round residents, off-season vitality.
NOTL is very pretty. One of my favorite places to visit. Usually go in the fall. It's usually where I do a lot of Christmas shopping. Not as many tourists at that time of year.

Great! Now let's go file it with all the other failed development proposals in Niagara Falls..

is_warehouse__a_nod_to_indiana_jones.jpg

Great! Now let's go file it with all the other failed development proposals in Niagara Falls..
All these proposals will eventually get built when demand is there. But for now they're are getting the buildings passed at the desired hieght which is an important strategy for the city's tourist area. I watched NFC council yesterday about the Stanley District condo project that is draining the water table levels around the development. And should have the Crain's up in May to build the underground parking facilities etc.

All these proposals will eventually get built when demand is there. ...

The question, I suppose, is will the development corporation still exist when demand shows up. The last large residential constructed was an 11 floor retirement residence in 1998.

It might be another 30 years before residential of this scale is feasible, and I don't think AirBnB can save it due to the extreme boom/bust cycle. You can't shut down floors in a condo building like you do in a hotel during the off season.

Last edited:
I found this to be a bit misleading. The developer is claiming it will be the tallest condo building in Canada because it doesn't have any commercial or hotel floors.

I found this to be a bit misleading. The developer is claiming it will be the tallest condo building in Canada because it doesn't have any commercial or hotel floors.

No hotel just condo with having 20 affordable units from what I heard but don't know about the highest condo!

I'm willing to bet 90% of the falls-facing units will be Airbnbs.
I'm willing to bet that 100% of the all-facings units will remain air.

There's something really weird about having a condo overlooking Niagara Falls. It's like wanting to overlook Times Square.
I have spent $300 a night to stay at the Radisson overlooking horseshoe falls with a panorama view that spanned the room. The sun rise from that angle with a daily rainbow is arguably one of the greatest in Ontario.

To be able to wake up to that view daily is something pretty exclusive assuming there won't be a future obstruction one day.

All these proposals will eventually get built when demand is there.

by the time there is demand and the years it takes to get it built, these buildings would already be dated and obsolete, just like the rest of the area!

Back