If it would have retained it's original, curved, peanut shape, this building would have gotten a lot more attention.The contrast with the other boxy buildings around it, would have made it stand out from the crowd. As it is now, it's just another ordinary, tall, glass box. The original design was so much better.

J1b05LG.jpg

oSmbmXu.jpg

I'm a big fan of these off-Yonge projects, I like how they rise behind the Yonge Street frontages. Hopefully this, FIVE & Karma turn out better than Crystal Blue or Uptown.

Nice update, Thanks. Pretty sharp looking glass.

Agreed. I normally don't like all-glass residential buildings, but this is looking really good so far.

I'm a big fan of these off-Yonge projects, I like how they rise behind the Yonge Street frontages. Hopefully this, FIVE & Karma turn out better than Crystal Blue or Uptown.

+1000

I'm definitely looking forward to the completion of this project too. So far, looking good.

I must be the only person who actually likes Crystal Blue and Uptown. I know they aren't architectural gems; but I think in a sea of floor to ceiling glass boxes it's nice for the eyes to have some respite from the sameness. I enjoyed seeing them from the view of the condo I previously lived in. Too bad the first proposal didn't make it.

Yeah, viewing this from south on Yonge definitely gives some depth to the street and the skyline. Nice.

Yeah, viewing this from south on Yonge definitely gives some depth to the street and the skyline. Nice.

Definitely so. I prefer a tiered set of development surrounding Yonge Street rather than skyscrapers right up against Yonge like some people suggest.

1.) It reduces claustophobia. Skyscrapers right on Yonge Street would make for a dim urban canyon, considering that Yonge Street is even narrower than Bay.

2.) It makes the city look larger from Yonge Street, as people are able to see more skyscrapers, rather than just the skyscrapers lining the street (like on Bay Street as of now).
In a metaphorical sense, I see it like this:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=junea...=-HMnLj80BpnEobsU8qA-8g&cbp=12,109.7,,0,-15.5
Essentially, you get a foreground (Yonge Street storefronts), and a background (the skyscrapers behind the storefronts), much like here where you have the foreground (storefronts) and backgrounds (mountains). Ideally, you would get the sense that you are at the base of a large amphitheater.

3.) It allows buildings to be appreciated better. Rather than craning your head up to stare at buildings (basically what you do at Trump tower), skyscrapers will be part of your normal field of vision.

4.) It keeps the existing storefronts, which offer a great opportunity to be refurbished. These are urban forms that have worked for the most part around the city, and only need some cleaning up to attract a better clientele/occupants. Obviously some buildings should be replaced with taller ones, but development on Yonge Street should aim to fix the things worth saving and develop empty/underutilized areas.

Last edited:
I must be the only person who actually likes Crystal Blue and Uptown. I know they aren't architectural gems; but I think in a sea of floor to ceiling glass boxes it's nice for the eyes to have some respite from the sameness. I enjoyed seeing them from the view of the condo I previously lived in. Too bad the first proposal didn't make it.

Not even close, I love uptown and I know others due as well ... crystal blue is meh ....

Imagine how much more interesting and sexy, the view up Yonge Street would have been if the city would have approved the original design for Nicholas Residences. It would have been 44 floors of curves, to provide a nice contrast to all the bland boxes. (Yes, I'm talking about Crystal Blue & Uptown) Wrap around, curved, white, frosted glass balconies might have been quite beautiful. Damn you, city of Toronto planners!

Uploaded with ImageShack.com

Last edited:
Shaving 10s off a building is significantly more important than good design (just think of how many extra NIMBY votes KWT will get for that!). You need to get your priorities straight.

Back