I hear you, but for me, this is a prime example of a developer not giving a sh*t. It's all about the details.

Ok, great. And are you going to chip in for the curtainwall here? What skin do you have in the game? That's great to say that you want high end materials in every random alleyway in the city, but where does that stop? Should we require developers to commission Porsche to supply designer dumpsters while we're at it?

I can sort of, kind of, maybe, possibly understand the complaint when it's prominent on a streetscape, but this is an alleyway. No one will ever even glance up at that wall ten years from now.

Ok, great. And are you going to chip in for the curtainwall here? What skin do you have in the game? That's great to say that you want high end materials in every random alleyway in the city, but where does that stop? Should we require developers to commission Porsche to supply designer dumpsters while we're at it?

I can sort of, kind of, maybe, possibly understand the complaint when it's prominent on a streetscape, but this is an alleyway. No one will ever even glance up at that wall ten years from now.
whatever, @whatever

Quite the over reaction. What skin do YOU have in the game here?

I don't think it is unfair to expect builders to treat every corner of a building with the the upmost respect. There could have been a much better solution here that didn't have to be a messy and ugly spandrel wall. Side note, spandrel doesn't have to be ugly, they decided to make it ugly.

Plus, this isn't just another random condo, this is suppose to be an upscale hotel and residence, where every angle counts. Yes, including the backside in the alley.

...it's one of those projects where one should make everything look good where ever possible and feasible. The developers here have clearly failed to live up to that task.

I'll say that while I don't like it, this has been the way we build for years, if not centuries. Should 85 Richmond have done stone or the more expensive white / blonde brick all the way around in the 20s? Standard, run of the mill, red brick was cheaper and more readily-available, so on secondary or tertiary frontages, it was used to save money.

1631298385720.jpg

Quite the over reaction. What skin do YOU have in the game here?

I don't think it is unfair to expect builders to treat every corner of a building with the the upmost respect. There could have been a much better solution here that didn't have to be a messy and ugly spandrel wall. Side note, spandrel doesn't have to be ugly, they decided to make it ugly.

Plus, this isn't just another random condo, this is suppose to be an upscale hotel and residence, where every angle counts. Yes, including the backside in the alley.

Agree 100%. There are reasons for everything but that doesn't mean something is fine. Explaining away poor execution, poor quality, and low standards is a guarantee that we'll get exactly that. Thankfully, there are people in this city who demand better. We have to live in this city. Crap like this is unacceptable but so is the mindset that allows it to continue.

The idea that building garbage is fine if it's a low traffic area is something I can't get behind. No one's asking for titanium cladding here but it still needs to meet a minimum standard. This falls far below that.

Last edited:
Maybe so, but the principle is the same.
The principle shouldn't be used as excuse for shoddy cladding though. As there are better examples of doing this better, including the example you just used.

That example used the cheapest material available at the time (early 1920s).
But IMO, it was applied in an appealing way. Arguably, it could be mistaken as a design choice vs. cheapening out on materials.

On the other hand, the spandrel used so far on Nobu clearly did not take design aesthetics into account as it's one of the worse applications of spandrel I've seen in awhile. And that says a lot coming from a city with pretty low standards with this type of cladding installation. I also find it hard to believe that this was the cheapest and best looking solution in this case.

Unacceptable.

That example used the cheapest material available at the time (early 1920s).
I get what you are saying. As it entirely goes along with where ever possible and feasible. But they are still required to make it look good especially for such a prestigious project (and a Teeple too!)...and this doesn't even come close to that. I'm not even sure they're trying. Or we're defending the indefensible otherwise.

That said, while we haven't seen what they'll have in store for the rest of the building...as there is still a chance this could be turned around. I strongly suspect though we'll still see more cost cutting measures that made G+C and Concord so "famous" for around here. /sigh

Back