I don't understand this, but it does seem to be true. Why are contemporary developers/architects ostensibly incapable of creating narrow, long retail? It seems incredibly obvious that it's the best kind of retail design, and yet no remotely new buildings seem to care to replicate it.

+1

I think too that on a major historical retail corridor, like Yonge, this should be mandated. I think it could be under the newly passed heritage by-laws.

S/W corner

I didn't know we were getting a public arena at Yonge and Bloor :rolleyes:

Don't really see the big deal with the current southwest corner. The northeast is a mess while the southwest is relatively animated, so I don't know why everyone keeps gunning for that site to be redeveloped. Just because there is nothing tall there doesn't meant that there has to be

The sad truth is , if nothing is developed , this strech of the street may fall into totall disrepair and will be demolished by sheer neglect...

The sad truth is , if nothing is developed , this strech of the street may fall into totall disrepair and will be demolished by sheer neglect...

What makes you think that? That block is very successful and well maintained, and I can only imagine it will get better with the addition of 75 floors of condos and retail occupying the former dead zone across the street. It certainly won't get neglected to the point of disrepair at the current rate of upkeep.

S/W corner

What makes you think that? That block is very successful and well maintained, and I can only imagine it will get better with the addition of 75 floors of condos and retail occupying the former dead zone across the street. It certainly won't get neglected to the point of disrepair at the current rate of upkeep.

With all due respect to your point of veiw , in my humble opinion those structures are slowly , but surely crumbling from inside out . The only feasible solution is : major highrise development with historic elements/ fasades retention.

in my humble opinion those structures are slowly , but surely crumbling from inside out

I am interested to know what that statement is based on

The only feasible solution is : major highrise development with historic elements/ fasades retention.

If they are indeed crumbling, then yes, but until I see more evidence of that, it just seems like an excuse for MORE TALL BUILDINGS!! YAAAYYY

I am interested to know what that statement is based on

If they are indeed crumbling, then yes, but until I see more evidence of that, it just seems like an excuse for MORE TALL BUILDINGS!! YAAAYYY

I must say, I was in Stollery's a while back, and upstairs it's pretty ramshackle...the wooden floors on the 2nd floor are all wacky, i.e. not level, and the building feels pretty ghetto from inside..

The only building on that strip worth preserving is the orange brick one, so it is basically a clean slate if a developer can piece together the land. (Which I wouldn't be surprised if one is doing)

July 3d...the pour

IMG_0352.jpg
IMG_0356.jpg

Well, I think this is the official main level floor pour done today.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.jpg
    IMG_0352.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 681
  • IMG_0356.jpg
    IMG_0356.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 664
With all due respect to your point of veiw , in my humble opinion those structures are slowly , but surely crumbling from inside out . The only feasible solution is : major highrise development with historic elements/ fasades retention.

I'd like to know how you think cars would get in and out of the underground with your major highrise development here?

Make it a 1 way lane (looping around Crystal Blu) and you should be fine.. especially if you put a small amount of parking in the development. (which is increasingly happening due to $60,000 price tags on the spots)

Back