I believe it is understood that the balcony glass with conform to the shape of the poured concrete. I'm pretty sure there are already sections of curved balcony glass in place, and if I remember correctly, I worked with someone who interned at a company involved with this building who confirmed for me that there would be curved balcony glass on a building "at Yonge and Bloor". I can't really go into any details beyond that since he didn't really provide much else. He seemed pretty sure of it though. Let's hope he was right!

I believe it is understood that the balcony glass with conform to the shape of the poured concrete. I'm pretty sure there are already sections of curved balcony glass in place, and if I remember correctly, I worked with someone who interned at a company involved with this building who confirmed for me that there would be curved balcony glass on a building "at Yonge and Bloor". I can't really go into any details beyond that since he didn't really provide much else. He seemed pretty sure of it though. Let's hope he was right!

The balcony railings are already being installed (see second last of GI17's pics) and they are indeed curvateous. (And one curved glass portion is already mounted). I'm hopeful the overall effect will be terrific.

....these help get the idea of whats to come! Looks like the curves are there depending how your viewing it, and still nice just the same withe the gaps of blue glass will make the balconies "pop". Im confident in the turn out for this. Great Job to those behind and constructing this beauty.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 1,524
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,566
Last edited:
There is no question whether or not this building will have curved balcony glass on it. The first of it has been up since October, and has already been published in this thread. Click on the link to see it again:
View attachment 58396

I think what people are wondering is if the curved balcony glass will show off the curves at a distance. We've been wondering that since the concrete curves can only be seen very clearly when you're under the tower looking up.

@Gphorce doesn't seem 100% certain that there will be curved glass on the balconies… when there already is.

I think what people are wondering is if the curved balcony glass will show off the curves at a distance. We've been wondering that since the concrete curves can only be seen very clearly when you're under the tower looking up.
That's because without the curved balcony glass the rest of this building is boring. The glass on the podium looks average at best. I have been saying for some time that the holdup is most likely a design concern. If it works it will make this project. If not then The One can't be built fast enough.

@Gphorce doesn't seem 100% certain that there will be curved glass on the balconies… when there already is.

I've just learned to never get my hopes too high with development unfortunately. I know we've seen some curved balcony glass already, but I'm just the slightest bit restrained about the concave glass in the inset curve sections. I'm betting we'll see it, but I'm not celebrating yet. Just know that I'll be as excited as anyone when it finally goes up!

Ok, I was referring to Tewder and conversations prior to this one. It'll probably take a few completed floors before we're able to tell from a distance how obvious the curves are. Here's hoping by Christmas!

There is no question whether or not this building will have curved balcony glass on it. The first of it has been up since October, and has already been published in this thread. Click on the link to see it again:
View attachment 58396
they aligned the glass in such a sophisticated way, that it forms a perfect curve. ive seen in many buildings where the curve is uneven and that looks cheap and ugly.

they aligned the glass in such a sophisticated way, that it forms a perfect curve. ive seen in many buildings where the curve is uneven and that looks cheap and ugly.

Indeed, those broad vertical curves should enhance the dramatic look of 1BE even from a distance, depending on time of day, changing weather, sun glinting off parts of the arcing curves, etc. And not to belabour the point (ok, a little belabouring), but curves do wonders for light-play, as seen in ic42's photo from Jade. And G.L.17's photo below it, highlight all the angles in 1BE, including curved portions meeting straight sections at right angles. So there should be light-glinted sections contrasting with somewhat darker recesses along each full balcony. ..in theory anyway.

dsc07951-jpg.59047
img_4711-jpg.60831

Last edited:

Back