Sadly all the mature trees have been cut down.

kdAXctk.jpg

Fh6E4Y8.jpg

Photo by drum118 see post#6 on this thread.
5970327085_2cf13d5374_b.jpg

taken today:
P1050216.jpg

P1050217.jpg

P1050218.jpg

P1050220.jpg

P1050221.jpg

Attachments

• P1050216.jpg
    P1050216.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 711
  • P1050217.jpg
    P1050217.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 674
  • P1050218.jpg
    P1050218.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 681
  • P1050220.jpg
    P1050220.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 687
  • P1050221.jpg
    P1050221.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 700
Bathurst has the best overhead wires in the city. You get the full rack. For some reason, there's two crooked wooden poles in front of this property--double your pleasure.

Bathurst has the best overhead wires in the city. You get the full rack. For some reason, there's two crooked wooden poles in front of this property--double your pleasure.

Yeah, I never understood why condo developers don't work with the city/Toronto hydro (or whoever is in charge of poles - I forgot since we sold them) to just bury the most offensive poles in front of a high profile condo developments.

I mean, aren't people who buy a unit on the 4th floor a little concerned that their bedroom window is 4 feet away from a rotting wooden superstructure with live wires covered in pigeon feces?

Yeah, I never understood why condo developers don't work with the city/Toronto hydro (or whoever is in charge of poles - I forgot since we sold them) to just bury the most offensive poles in front of a high profile condo developments.

I mean, aren't people who buy a unit on the 4th floor a little concerned that their bedroom window is 4 feet away from a rotting wooden superstructure with live wires covered in pigeon feces?

Yeah, I guess one day they will realize that our infrastructure is in par to a 3rd world country, unfortunately i doubt anything will be done about it in our life time

You can't just simply bury overhead wires.
They would have to lower the distribution voltage substantially, which reduces the amount of power carried.
This means increasing the number of wires, or using much lower gauge cables, and installing transformers to interface with the overhead wires with the higher distribution voltage.

The process of burying the wires has been refined over the past century and isn't a big deal. It will be done in our lifetime.

The process of burying the wires has been refined over the past century and isn't a big deal. It will be done in our lifetime.

True, but it makes no sense that they would be above ground, buried for a block, and then above ground. Pay into a fund for a larger-scale overhaul in future, sure.

True, but it makes no sense that they would be above ground, buried for a block, and then above ground. Pay into a fund for a larger-scale overhaul in future, sure.

Yes, exactly. That's what I was trying to go for. I would like to see something like a Section 37 for hydro burial and streetscape improvements in designated districts. As a value-adding amenity, buried wires are no different from a park. Personally, I would pay an extra $25,000 if my 4th floor condo had a real view, and not a view of rotting wood, live wires, humming transformer boxes and a roosting spot for pigeons that will likely dump shit on my balcony.

One thing I'd like to see (and I know this is far fetched) is for developers to include hydro poles in their renderings, so it gives the potential purchaser an idea of what they will be staring at while looking out their window.

This idea came up when I was looking at urbandreamer's post from today of the Thompson Residences. For instance, this render makes everything seem fine and dandy, but the reality is...

thompson-res.jpg

there are hideous hydro poles in the front of the development.

7o72.jpg

Photo courtesy of urbandreamer.

oneeleven does the same thing. They show beautiful mature trees in the render, but no hydro poles.

urbantoronto-5188-16006.jpg

The reality...

P1050216.jpg

Photo courtesy of neuhaus.

Last edited:
Funny thing is, I don't even notice those monstrosities until they're brought to my attention. And that's not because they're inconspicuous, but because I've become so bloody inured to the tragic profundity of their grotesqueness.

Suddenly, it seems at home somehow. (bitter laughter)

Attachments

• urbantoronto-5188-16006.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 720
Last edited:

Back