I stand corrected.
I'm a little surprised they're allowing it to be taller actually. But I guess the vista from the south is still protected.

It's the exact same height as the Sheraton Centre. I had been hoping for something that would play off that and the other brutalist landmarks in the area.

Why is one company designing all the new courthouses? It's bizarre.

How is that bizarre? It's commonplace among developers. I'd greatly prefer if every public building was open to competition but, it's not mandatory.

Does that mean it's going to be generic, corporate, and boring?

I think the actual architect for the project hasn't been decided - they are just determining the functional programme of the building right now.

Having said that, set your sights low on this one. IO has no history of delivering superlative courthouse architecture.

AoD

Ricci Greene served as consultants on Richard Meier's Islip Courthouse, for example, (along with countless other courthouses - it's a specialty for them) so I agree with Alvin, they're being tapped for their expertise in setting up the inside to work efficiently, etc. WZMH may end up with design architect status on this. We can't know yet.

Design Review Panel April 5th.

New Toronto Courthouse Guidelines (2nd Review) and 11 Centre Ave (Update) - 3:10 pm

Guidelines for Rezoning Application
Infrastructure Ontario
James Parakh, Urban Design, City of Toronto; Eric Turcotte, Urban Strategies

Description: This is an update for the Urban Design Guidelines (1st Review Dec 2015) being developed for the New Toronto Courthouse. The site is located northwest of City Hall. Currently it is a surface parking lot bounded by Centre Ave, Armoury St and Chestnut St.

The new courthouse will bring together several of Toronto’s courts currently operating out of different locations, in one building.

The proposed development of the subject site consists of a new high-rise courthouse which includes a number of courtrooms and associated courthouse operations, as well as some of their ancillary office and eating establishment space. The proposed development's maximum zoning envelope includes a height of 135m on the western portion of the site and a height of 95m on the eastern portion.
Find out more

I'm confused by the slated DRP date—does there currently exist a design that just hasn't been released to the public but will be at the DRP hearing? Or will it be something along the lines of the DRP review the guidelines and making design recommendations, etc.?

I'm confused by the slated DRP date—does there currently exist a design that just hasn't been released to the public but will be at the DRP hearing? Or will it be something along the lines of the DRP review the guidelines and making design recommendations, etc.?
Not quite sure why you are confused - the DRP are looking again at the Guidelines they first discussed last December. Read the minutes of that meeting at http://www1.toronto.ca/wps/portal/contentonly?vgnextoid=b7be3e5b9cde0510VgnVCM10000071d60f89RCRD At some point I assume an actual design may come to the Panel too.

Yeah, that answered my question. I wasn't aware that the DRP reviews guidelines before a design is present.

Equipment on site.

I guess it's far too much to expect that this'll look anywhere near as spectacular as what KAAN just completed at the Hague: http://www.wallpaper.com/architectu...ing-to-house-supreme-court-of-the-netherlands

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.44.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.44.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.44.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.45.03 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.44.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.44.42 PM.png
    440 KB · Views: 1,314
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.44.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.44.57 PM.png
    1 MB · Views: 1,335
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.44.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.44.51 PM.png
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 1,333
  • Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.45.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 3.45.03 PM.png
    985.2 KB · Views: 1,278
I'm not particularly impressed by it so, yeah, it could happen here.

Back