I hope the Liberals would be content with just tweaking the plans, and continuing the tendering process. Burning everything with Ford's fingerprints on it is good for nobody.

Haha, this guy thinks the liberals will win the next election.

In my opinion, and some may disagree. The conservatives need to win a second term, because if anything they proposed is going to get built, they need that second term,
or the cycle will repeat.

These transit projects don't even benefit me(I live in caledon), But i fully support the building of transit in toronto because i think the capital of the province has the highest priority.

Last edited:
At least they didn't use paper napkins back then (from link)...

a880c6446ccbe31a571b2de78dda3cf9

1911 proposal for a streetcar subway under Queen Street

In 1944, the TTC produced its plan “Rapid Transit for Toronto” calling for a full Yonge subway and a Queen Street streetcar subway. These plans were approved by the Board of Control and by the electorate in a referendum on January 1, 1946. The Yonge subway had priority and detailed engineering design was followed by construction with completion in 1954. An east-west station structure was provided under Queen station in anticipation of a future Queen Street streetcar subway, which never materialized.

Plans and estimates of cost have been made covering two-track subway and open cut sections along Queen Street to be operated for a number of years as a trunk line for streetcar routes extending east, northeast, west and northwest beyond its portals. The open cut sections will be west of University Avenue and east of Church Street in the rear of the Queen Street frontage, connected by a subway under Queen Street between University Avenue and Church Street.

These open cut sections will extend through depreciated-value areas where there will be a pronounced economy in acquiring a private right-of-way a short distance north of Queen Street. The general features of the project conform to those described above for the subway on Yonge Street, the principal variation being the adoption of elevated construction across the Don River.

It is estimated that the maximum traffic on the Queen Street route, about 9,000 passengers per hour, could be carried with a combination of single cars and two-car trains operating on a headway of about 60 seconds, at speeds of about 15 m.p.h. (24 km/h) including stops. Capacity of this route, operated with trolley cars, will provide for substantial future increases in traffic, but with little sacrifice in speed. The Queen Street route, therefore, initially at least is being planned for streetcar operation.

An extension will be built in the west, partly in subway and partly in open cut, extending through Trinity Park to a connection with existing streetcar tracks on Dundas Street, a short distance east of Crawford Street. A similar extension will be made in the east along a right-of-way to be acquired adjacent to and just west of the Canadian National Railway to a connection with existing streetcar tracks at Gerrard Street and Carlaw Avenue.

This arrangement will result in benefit to every section of the east and west ends of the city. In the east, for example, will be routed not only Queen Street and Kingston Road cars. Special new direct routes from the Danforth districts, by which car riders can reach the downtown section, will be established instead of the present crosstown and transfer connections.

Similarly, in the west end, in addition to Queen cars and Dundas cars, other special new routes from the Dovercourt area, High Park and Runnymede districts will use the rapid transit line to get the greatest possible benefit of the new facilities.

The grades and alignments of both of these extensions will be such as to permit subsequent rapid transit extensions along Queen Street beyond the ends of the initial structures. The total length of route between connection to the Dundas Street tracks near Crawford Street to a connection to the tracks at Gerrard Street and Carlaw Avenue is 4.5 miles (7 km).
bedcf38735c3794d2bbec605525cc303

fa271abb5f0f98a45b56c8cc676e1889

41c0b04c3dd156f1d0ee76fbde0394a7

Parts sure looks familiar to the Ontario Line (the Ontario Line has less trenches).

The Ontario Line will NOT be using the existing streetcar station under the Yonge Line (Line 1).

dd152e3013549ee142327c72faf13e8c

db2417711d00c23fdadd9e66e5638f4e

Last edited:
Haha, this guy thinks the liberals will win the next election.

In my opinion, and some may disagree. The conservatives need to win a second term, because if anything they proposed is going to get built, they need that second term,
or the cycle will repeat.

These transit projects don't even benefit me(I live in caledon), But i fully support the building of transit in toronto because i think the capital of the province has the highest priority.
Conservatives winning may be good for consistency on transit, but it's very bad for anyone who isn't rich, straight and white (saying this as someone who's life has gotten worse under Ford). Any other party winning with the commitment of not overturning their transit plans would be a big improvement.

I hope the Liberals would be content with just tweaking the plans, and continuing the tendering process. Burning everything with Ford's fingerprints on it is good for nobody.
I hope so. The Ontario Line as it is exists as part of Ford's effort to undo anything Kathleen Wynne attempted. It worries me the Liberals will do the reverse in response. I don't trust either the Liberals or Conservatives to fix our transit issue because they see it more as a battleground than they do as something that actually impacts real people.

Last edited:
Conservatives winning may be good for consistency on transit, but it's very bad for anyone who isn't rich, straight and white (saying this as someone who's life has gotten worse under Ford). Any other party winning with the commitment of not overturning their transit plans would be a big improvement.

lol y'all need to find a new shtick.

I hope so. The Ontario Line as it is exists as part of Ford's effort to undo anything Kathleen Wynne attempted. It worries me the Liberals will do the reverse in response. I don't trust either the Liberals or Conservatives to fix our transit issue because they see it more as a battleground than they do as something that actually impacts real people.

Both parties have learned that selling transit is an effective electoral strategy. Whether or not it actually gets built is irrelevant; voters have a short memory. I have zero trust in either of them to get the job done, especially given the curtain of secrecy they’ve built around Metrolinx and the transit building process

Last edited:
Both parties have learned that selling transit is an effective electoral strategy. Weather or not it actually gets built is irrelevant; voters have a short memory. I have zero trust in either of them to get the job done, especially given the curtain of secrecy they’ve built around Metrolinx and the transit building process

Agree %100, as my father told me "you know when a politician is lying?, is when they open their mouths"

Both parties have learned that selling transit is an effective electoral strategy. Weather or not it actually gets built is irrelevant; voters have a short memory. I have zero trust in either of them to get the job done, especially given the curtain of secrecy they’ve built around Metrolinx and the transit building process
What about the NDP? Thoughts on them?

What about the NDP? Thoughts on them?
I'm not TGM but, the NDP have spent the last couple of months attacking the Doug Ford transit plans by claiming that an economic recession isn't a good time to be funding transit (which is absolute bullocks), and siding with NIMBY's in Leslieville that complain that the Ontario Line running above ground on the LSE Corridor would be too noisy (which if that's the case then these people have much more serious issues coming their way than the Ontario Line). While I'd love a return to 1989 NDP with them promising a ton of new subway lines and trying to compete with Doug Ford's rhetoric, I'm not sure that's the direction Horwath is planning to take.

I wouldn't be so hasty in criticizing people in Leslieville/South Riverdale for opposing the idea of approximately 100 trains an hour running approximately 100 feet, or in some cases 60 feet, from their windows. If above ground transit is intolerable in Scarborough and Etobicoke, what gives?

I wouldn't be so hasty in criticizing people in Leslieville/South Riverdale for opposing the idea of approximately 100 trains an hour running approximately 100 feet, or in some cases 60 feet, from their windows. If above ground transit is intolerable in Scarborough and Etobicoke, what gives?
They chose to live right next to one of the busiest rail corridors in the province, plus that same corridor is going to house GO RER and Via HFR in the near future. Compared to that, the amount of noise that's going to be produced by the OL trains is negligible.

The NDP was all for electric trains in Weston. But you know what? They achieved a lot there. Instead of severing several neighbourhood streets in half by fencing off their rail crossings and closing them to neighbourhood use, they got the government to build more underpasses. The government put up noise barriers, anti-vibration pads on the tracks, added a station for the UP Express, and committed to electrifying GO Transit on the Georgetown line, which wasn't on the table before the Clean Train Coalition started lobbying for it.

It may seem annoying, but sometimes, this sort of opposition can achieve healthy outcomes in a democracy, so long as it's not crass NIMBY rhetoric but something more productive, as in Weston where people wanted the infrastructure to be built but in an equitable manner. If it's possible to build the line more affordably by not burying it, it's definitely an appealing option. But I'm sure there are plenty of valid concerns from local residents that need to be addressed.

They chose to live right next to one of the busiest rail corridors in the province, plus that same corridor is going to house GO RER and Via HFR in the near future. Compared to that, the amount of noise that's going to be produced by the OL trains is negligible.
What evidence do you have that the sound impact of the OL will be negligible compared to surface trains?

Opposition to RER was far less. That's simply using the rail corridor to its full potential. Building an elevated line above that when it was previously planned to be buried and on a different alignment is completely different.

It should be worth noting that the Liberals reverting to the old DRL plan should they be elected wouldn't actually be going backwards, since the DRL was still further along in terms of design than the OL is now.

Get work started on the common section of the two projects (Danforth to Downtown), and then recycle whatever work was done on the north-of-Danforth section of the OL for the DRL extension.

What evidence do you have that the sound impact of the OL will be negligible compared to surface trains?

Opposition to RER was far less. That's simply using the rail corridor to its full potential. Building an elevated line above that when it was previously planned to be buried and on a different alignment is completely different.

Evidence? Vancouver Skytrain and Confederation Line should be enough. Especially on the newer sections of the Skytrain, you can literally stand underneath the elevated guideway and the sound produced would be minimal. As for why it will be negligible, because its a small lighter train, and Metrolinx have said they will be specifically building it with sound mitigation in mind which includes single welded rails. Now let's take GO RER on its own. The Stoufville Line during Peak Hours will have 8 trains per hour per direction, plus an extra 3 trains per hour in one direction. LSE will have 4 trains per hour per direction plus 5 trains per hour in one direction. In Total that is 32 heavy trains per hour in both directions that are going to be significantly noisier than any train that will be on the Ontario Line, which is a train every Minute and 52 seconds. The amount of noise that will realistically be added by the OL is insignificant compared to everything else that will be on this corridor.

Back