Based on his map 2/3 mosques will be expropriated but not the new one. However, imagine a whole new train depot the size of "24 Soccer Fields" being built beside your mosque. Plus they may also require some of the space for a bus station loop which still hasn't been positioned on the map. It will likely require the parking lot of the new mosque at minimum. i.e. the space behind the number 2 on the map. View attachment 311743View attachment 311744

Has it been confirmed that the new mosque on Overlea will be expropriated rather than just built up to?
Or that the mosque is unwilling to sell the older facility? Their website says that construction at 20 Overlea will take another 40 months so they may end up moving everything from the older facility to the new one.. http://islamicsocietyoftoronto.com/

The map on the MX website seems to show the yard stopping short of the Overlea mosque.

2StvS4c.png

Note that the spur to the storage tracks would be elevated over Pat Moore Dr. parallel to the mainline.
That means that the hydro lines will only need to be raised in one narrow area to get the mainline north of the hydro corridor before it crosses the ravine. Having the spur and mainline parallel could be why the mainline runs behind Costco instead of taking a shallower curve across the Costco parking lot. The switches from the mainline near the OMC Building also provide for spurs without any sharp 90 degree turns from the mainline (which the old Beth Nealson Dr. site may have required). The spur along the CP tracks might be used to deliver the trains.

It should be interesting since there is a greenway running down the middle of the maintenance yard under the hydro lines (but it looks inaccessible). Arguably, the storage track area isn't that desirable for residential development as they are adjacent to the hydro corridor.
On Google streetview, with all the hydro lines, it looks like a suitable area for a storage yard.
Ay9A8gG.png

The storage track lands also do not front onto Overlea, so will be screened once the area is built up.
I doubt they would build over top of the yard as that would be expensive and derailments can occur in yards, which would be problematic .

The Thorncliffe Park Station on the official MX map shows the station standing clear of the 20 Overlea Mosque building, and with a straddle station, the entrance plaza will likely face Thorncliffe Park Dr. under the guideway.

I doubt that there would be a bus loop, especially since the station is at the intersection with easy access to a crosswalk.
With modern fare cards, passengers just tap to enter the station and the system knows you were previously on a bus and vice versa, when you tap onto the bus, the system knows you exited the subway.
Secure bus loops are very old school and isolate passengers from the community.

Last edited:
I don't even think they need a parking lot or a bus terminal at Thorncliffe Park. Either buses will loop through Thorncliffe Park Drive or extended to Science Centre. As long as the station fits on the side of the street, they don't need to take over the mosque.

Have we have a discussion on the MSF itself? It seems like ML plans to run 5 car trains with 45 trains (225 cars) in that MSF drawing. Assuming cars are 20-23m, they are aiming for 100-115m trains. If this line ever get extended, they'll going to have either another MSF or take over the parklands.

I don't even think they need a parking lot or a bus terminal at Thorncliffe Park. Either buses will loop through Thorncliffe Park Drive or extended to Science Centre. As long as the station fits on the side of the street, they don't need to take over the mosque.

Have we have a discussion on the MSF itself? It seems like ML plans to run 5 car trains with 45 trains (225 cars) in that MSF drawing. Assuming cars are 20-23m, they are aiming for 100-115m trains. If this line ever get extended, they'll going to have either another MSF or take over the parklands.
If they extend, will they need additional maintenance facilities or just storage? I'd guess they are only taking the land that they need in Thorncliffe Park and plan to find additional land when the extensions happen. I could see there being 2 phases of extension:
Phase 1 to Sheppard (Don Mills Station) - They can likely find additional land for storage around York Mills Rd
Phase 2 to Steeles (Elevated along the 404) - Plenty of industrial land around the Steeles-404 interchange to use for a second MSF

What we do need on the "Ontario" Line is BICYCLE parking lots, or preferably, BICYCLE GARAGES at EACH and every station on the line.

Back