You'll be very hard pressed to find an automated metro system anywhere in the world running at 90 second headways with a high level of passenger crowding.
I was going to say Moscow but then I saw the word automated. Moscow manages roughly 90 second headways with drivers but only during rush hour. Outside of that its about 3 minutes or so. It's actually insane how efficient the Moscow Metro is (even more so then places like Japan which are held up for there effeciency and punctuality), but that's besides the point.

Short little video about it at rush hour.

Last edited:
I think tonight's OL meeting is for "Downtown segment: Osgoode, Queen, Moss Park, Corktown". Has the material been posted yet on the Metrolinx Engage website?

Folks, we do not need an extra track for all 2 VIA TPH, we already will have like 30 TPH on a quad track . . . .

Moreover, if we do reach the stage of needing it, the Don Branch starts to look a lot more reasonable than it does now, and would interfere with, well, everything, less than cramming more tracks through Lakeshore East.

Not just yet.
Downtown segment is up.

The Line 1 platforms for these stations are approximately 10m underground.
The Ontario Line platforms for these stations will be approximately 38m underground.

The look of this diagram shows a mined station... as I suspected for the two downtown interchange stations, a change from the Relief Line.
Screenshot 2021-04-26 at 22.04.18.png

Downtown segment is up.

The Line 1 platforms for these stations are approximately 10m underground.
The Ontario Line platforms for these stations will be approximately 38m underground.

The look of this diagram shows a mined station... as I suspected for the two downtown interchange stations, a change from the Relief Line.
View attachment 315363
Hmm, maybe that's why we haven't seen much movement with 2 Queen West? Anyways, the slidedeck is really thin on details.

AoD

The DRL plan was not as far along as everyone seems to suggest, the OL is past where the DRL was given they are doing full southern contract right now (not just tunnelling which can be accelerated as on SSE and EWLRT)

I think it was a lot further ahead than you think it was. 15% design with a start date years ahead of the OL.

Less than 20% greater capacity makes *much* seem like an exaggeration
I'm assuming this is based on MX's unrealistic expectation of running 90 sec headways at crush-level demand and passenger loading standards never yet observed in Toronto.

And regardless, 20% is a massive difference. Remove 20% of the Line 2 trains and see what happens.
@TheTigerMaster nailed it.

20% is not only a huge difference, it's 20% based on dubious Metrolinx projections that are not realistic.

Seems like an incredibly foolish plan to implement on a line that needs maximum capacity.

I didn't notice it posted.....apologies if I missed it; but Steve Munro published a new post yesterday on the subject of the Community Meeting/ Q&A that was recently held for this project.

https://stevemunro.ca/2021/04/23/metrolinx-ducks-and-weaves-in-riverside/#more-35015
To say he was unimpressed is an understatement.
I'm not sure how anyone can listen to Metrolinx and review the material they provided and not understand some of the skepticism coming from the community.

Putting aside claims of NIMBYism, there are some legitimate safety concerns that simply haven't been addressed.

They're also lying in some instances (like their station depth excuse). It's unacceptable.

Going underground with the subway line does allow greater flexibility in the rail corridor for what makes sense to be in the rail corridor (i.e the trains). It is a really tight fit for 5 tracks and the Ontario Line, and I think it is a little irresponsible in terms of planning for the future to not allow for one more track than you currently anticipate using in the next 10-15 years. You don't need to lay the track, but you leave it as an open possibility like most other bridges and underpasses that are built these days.

View attachment 315076

What I see here is a plan that should be explored only if there is no other option. That's a lot to pack into a relatively small rail corridor.

This seems like one of those obvious instances where you take the opportunity to put this line underground, and use the existing corridor for it's original purpose. We have that option, and it's worth the cost, given how beneficial it will be in terms of capacity.

Last edited:
In tonight's meeting, one of the speakers mentioned that the OL station names will go through a naming process so expect some name changes at some stations. *Cough* Flemingdon Park and Science Centre. *Cough*

Also, the reason why Metrolinx did not look at a station at the Distillery District was that the station would be too close to East Harbour and Corktown.

In tonight's meeting, one of the speakers mentioned that the OL station names will go through a naming process so expect some name changes at some stations. *Cough* Flemingdon Park and Science Centre. *Cough*

Also, the reason why Metrolinx did not look at a station at the Distillery District was that the station would be too close to East Harbour and Corktown.
If they increase the density up in the surrounding city blocks to high-density. That would require the need for closely spaced stations, like the stations of Line 1 south of Bloor.

You mean Rob Ford Station and Don't Follow Science Centre Station.

Seems like a Cherry St station would be very useful for serving the Portlands.

Back