^I wasn't referring to the article, just the plan on it's own merits.

Nothing has changed with regards to the major issues - and I'm not even referring to reverting to the original RL plan. What about longer stations (for example)?

None of this has been addressed.

^I wasn't referring to the article, just the plan on it's own merits.

Nothing has changed with regards to the major issues - and I'm not even referring to reverting to the original RL plan. What about longer stations (for example)?

None of this has been addressed.
Those can still be addressed.

Is it? We're getting some more information and it's great to see some renderings etc.

However, the inherent issues with this plan (capacity, for example) have not been addressed.
When I say it's increasing, I mean that Yonge is becoming more overcrowded, meaning this project is now necessary to relieve that. Since we have YNSE and ECLRT coming soon, what will that do to a Yonge Line - especially if YNSE opens before OL/DRL, as it probably will be? What will 5 years of that look like?

Also, I hold a (probably vain) hope that the hypothetical OL's success will push politicians to use automated light metro technology, decreasing costs and increasing transit reach - therefore reducing necessary capacity here as well.

Again, I prefer quite heavily the DRL plan over OL, but I'm hoping that expediting the OL will create a precedent for not-studied-to-death-and-delayed-twenty-times transit expansions.

It should've been addressed at the start, and so far they're moving in the opposite direction. Longer stations, for example, need to be planned now.

When I say it's increasing, I mean that Yonge is becoming more overcrowded, meaning this project is now necessary to relieve that. Since we have YNSE and ECLRT coming soon, what will that do to a Yonge Line - especially if YNSE opens before OL/DRL, as it probably will be? What will 5 years of that look like?

Also, I hold a (probably vain) hope that the hypothetical OL's success will push politicians to use automated light metro technology, decreasing costs and increasing transit reach - therefore reducing necessary capacity here as well.

Again, I prefer quite heavily the DRL plan over OL, but I'm hoping that expediting the OL will create a precedent for not-studied-to-death-and-delayed-twenty-times transit expansions.

It has been necessary for decades.

This is what happens when transit expansion is dictated by politics. This government has continued the tradition of prioritizing suburban expansion over necessity.

The problem with the OL is not that it uses new technology or has above ground sections - it's that it doesn't provide adequate relief to the Yonge Line.

When will this reality be addressed? We're still waiting.

The great thing about the OL technology compared to the TTC heavy rail technology is that the OL line will use automation. Which i believe will bring quicker travel times compared to the DRL that requires a human to operate.
I believe Metrolinx is putting all their eggs in one basket(automation)

The great thing about the OL technology compared to the TTC heavy rail technology is that the OL line will use automation. Which i believe will bring quicker travel times compared to the DRL that requires a human to operate.
Proof? I understood the DRL would have been automated from day one. Ditto with Line 5 underground portion, it would also be automated.

Proof? I understood the DRL would have been automated from day one. Ditto with Line 5 underground portion, it would also be automated.
That's like the one thing Metrolinx has been shoving down our throats about the OL since Day 1, that the extra train length and on train capacity isn't necessary as they can compensate for the smaller capacity with more frequent trains that run every 90 secs.

Oh yeah? I just assumed it would be another typical subway line, and besides I thought the union would also play a role in deciding what technology the ttc would use.

Where are you getting your information? The TTC is upgrading the existing legacy lines to be automated so there is little chance a new line would be built without automation. Except for hyperloop and maglev the fastest public transport in service is heavy rail so I'm not sure where the quicker times assumption comes from either. The province chose a different route, more above ground, with a smaller vehicle to reduce tunnel diameter, needed station capacities, etc. The province put a priority on being cheaper (reducing maximum capacity) and making the line longer. Bigger trains need bigger tunnels, bigger stations to handle a greater train capacity in case of an evacuation in the station, bigger emergency exit points, bigger ventilation, etc. I get people choosing the Ontario Line for it being a longer route and maybe certain stations being better located... but beyond that I don't really get why anyone in their right mind would choose the light metro Ontario Line over a modern heavy metro serving the same locations. That is a trade down by any measure I can think of... it is saying I want cheaper, slower, less spacious lower capacity trains that might have a slight acceleration advantage. What magical technology do we think the Ontario Line is? SRT technology, automated Eglinton LRT technology??

Reactions: syn
I hope there is enough funds in the budget to fix the escalator problem at many of the Line 2 stations.
jyi81skmhcoy.jpg
From link.

Same old, same old problem, no funds to correct the problem.

Where are you getting your information? The TTC is upgrading the existing legacy lines to be automated so there is little chance a new line would be built without automation. Except for hyperloop and maglev the fastest public transport in service is heavy rail so I'm not sure where the quicker times assumption comes from either. The province chose a different route, more above ground, with a smaller vehicle to reduce tunnel diameter, needed station capacities, etc. The province put a priority on being cheaper (reducing maximum capacity) and making the line longer. Bigger trains need bigger tunnels, bigger stations to handle a greater train capacity in case of an evacuation in the station, bigger emergency exit points, bigger ventilation, etc. I get people choosing the Ontario Line for it being a longer route and maybe certain stations being better located... but beyond that I don't really get why anyone in their right mind would choose the light metro Ontario Line over a modern heavy metro serving the same locations. That is a trade down by any measure I can think of... it is saying I want cheaper, slower, less spacious lower capacity trains that might have a slight acceleration advantage. What magical technology do we think the Ontario Line is? SRT technology, automated Eglinton LRT technology??
The SRT is capable of automation but because of the union, they have a cab driver. So I assumed that any new line built and owned by the ttc would still require a cab driver, even though it's capable of automation.

I hope there is enough funds in the budget to fix the escalator problem at many of the Line 2 stations.
jyi81skmhcoy.jpg
From link.

Same old, same old problem, no funds to correct the problem.
That's not a budget issue it's a space issue with the equipment at the bottom of the escalator not being able to fit where the floor level without it interfering with something below in many cases it's the station platform and there wouldn't enough space for an average sized person to get under it

So I assumed that any new line built and owned by the ttc would still require a cab driver, even though it's capable of automation.

There won't even be a cab in the train, just an emergency control panel under where people watch the front view of the train.

Oh yeah? I just assumed it would be another typical subway line, and besides I thought the union would also play a role in deciding what technology the ttc would use.

No one said the Ontario Line will be a light metro, it can carry more passenger than line 4 (even line 1) with 100 meters trains and better frequency.

Even based on the dubious numbers Metrolinx presented, the previous DRL plan has significantly higher capacity.

No one said the Ontario Line will be a light metro, it can carry more passenger than line 4 (even line 1) with 100 meters trains and better frequency.

Hehe... line 4. The comparison that should never be used to prove something is good.

How? The Toronto Rocket is 130m+, can carry over 1400 people, and using their antiquated signaling system had trains arriving every 4 minutes and with ATC they are expecting trains just under two minutes apart from each other. That is over 46,000 people each way per hour.

What are these Ontario Line stats where a smaller vehicle can carry more for less? We should slowly convert the existing lines to this system.

Back