This is good news at the end, it means that an international operator with more experiencing running metro systems will be making the train decision, not the TTC. Likely will mean a more modern and reputable train design.

The lack of public knowledge should not be construed as a good thing - notice your qualifier "likely". It shouldn't be "likely" - it should be it will be a modern and reputable train design - and it should be publicly known.

AoD

The vendor will be selecting the rolling stock (along with other technical decisions) that best align with their corporate interests.

I hope there is substantial oversight here. These long-term decisions should not be left to the whims of corporate interests.
We see that with the suburban light rail lines already. The lines are being built to the specs of their standard light rail vehicles. The track curves are wide and the gentle inclines have to be limited. So much so that they cannot handle the tighter curves and steeper inclines of the legacy streetcar network.

We see that in other industries. For example, the North American fire trucks are giant wide war machines, fine for the wide suburban streets, not so for the downtown streets. Compared with the European fire trucks, which they are able to be used on their much narrower streets. If the North American fire truck manufacturers had their way, they'll tear down all the narrow European streets to wide streets, so their trucks could be sold there.
'

Last edited:
Should be noted that the majority of optimization benefits that can work for OL, can be added to Line 1 in the future. Signaling can be upgraded, train layout can be improved when it's time to procure new trains, etc. OL can have those advantages at the start, but the Yonge line can get them as well, somewhat later but at a reasonable cost.

Another point worth noting is that a higher speed, by itself, does not lead to a higher capacity. Capacity is the product of trains-per-hour and riders-per-train. The latter depends on the train size and layout, and doesn't depend on the speed. Trains-per-hour is 3600 divided by the minimal allowed headway in seconds. With a higher speed, trains have to stay further apart to run safely, but the train covers that higher distance faster because of the speed. Thus the headway, expressed in seconds, remains the same.

The Yonge line might have some permanent operational disadvantages due to the legacy features, such as the tight station spacing in downtown, or the tight curve from the Yonge alignment to Union. Those could be making it difficult to maintain the optimal headway, and thus reduce the capacity somewhat. But by how much? Probably no more than 10%.

The TTC has “needed” more capacity on Line 1 for decades and hasn’t done most of this stuff - I don’t have faith they will.

The biggest legacy issue Line 1 has, as mentioned is the terminals, we could fix them but again, its unlikely we will . . .

The vendor will be selecting the rolling stock (along with other technical decisions) that best align with their corporate interests.

I hope there is substantial oversight here. These long-term decisions should not be left to the whims of corporate interests.

I’m fine with that, contracts are written so their corporate interest is good reliable train service

The TTC has “needed” more capacity on Line 1 for decades and hasn’t done most of this stuff - I don’t have faith they will.

The biggest legacy issue Line 1 has, as mentioned is the terminals, we could fix them but again, its unlikely we will . . .

Nobody can have "faith" in anything related to TTC or MLinx. A massive and well-established bureaucracy is never in a rush to improve its operations.

But the technical possibilities are there. If they get desperate and need a solution for the capacity crunch, they will make a move.

I’m fine with that, contracts are written so their corporate interest is good reliable train service
Doesn't help when the TTC commissioners and politicians at city hall & Queen's Park are non-transit users.

For example, this TTC commissioner and Deputy Mayor...

Ten things Denzil Minnan-Wong can’t live without

From link. His "number one"...

My car
I’m a car guy. I used to have a Porsche 928 S4 and a BMW 328. Those days are gone (I’m a family man now), but I love driving alone in my Subaru Forester. I come into the city from North York every morning and watch the sun glint off the towers....

ALL the TTC commissioners should be using the TTC every work day, at least.

Last edited:
Well the TTC does have a proposed Line 1 capacity enhancement program. Same goes for Line 2.

Honestly, The Ontario Line (name) might just stick. It doesn't seem like a terrible name, and there is no strict requirement for line names to be based on streets.

Heck, the provincial govt might just make the name a requirement considering they're the ones who actually got a relief line built. I'll certainly take it over the relief line name.

Last edited:

Back