That Gerrard street bridge is really nice. I like it. could they do the same for Queen?

Keep up, LOL I posted the Queen St. render back on Wednesday, its in the post below:

just me forgetting which streets got stations in riverside. which means this is the reverse image of this years old render from metrolinx with updated bridge design

1690562746608-png.495729

ju9kg7

What about Queen from the other side?
1690405722421-png.495305

The expanded bridge isn't just for the six tracks, it also has the subway platform on it. I'd assume an island platform. That would surely double the bridge width. So with the 4 arches remaining, that new image is a bit misleading, as through a trick of the angle, you can't see how much further the bridge will extend towards Carlaw.

The second, older, image looking south shows just how much bigger that bridge will be; with the new parts of both the Gerrard and Carlaw bridges now being a single structure, extending half-way across the intersection! But look below how far the bridges are from the intersection!

1690583209844.png

The current bridges have maximum clearance of 4.0m. Wonder what the clearance will be with the new bridges?

View attachment 495808
From link

All the bridges will be raised to 5m as part o the Lakeshore East Join Corridor work.
Bridges will be replaced in consultation with the city and we will be building them to their current standards, with five metres between the bottom of the bridge and the roadway. By comparison, the Queen Street bridge has a clearance of only 3.9 metres. This means the connecting rail tracks must also be higher. They will be raised by 1.1 metres at Queen, 0.9 metres at Dundas, 0.6 metres at Logan and 0.8 metres at Eastern.

I'm not sure that these underpasses will be as exciting as the renderings depict - one could point to Queen/Dufferin and King/Shaw as comparables - but they will hopefully be safer brighter and better maintained than they are to day, and that may be good enough.

- Paul

I'm not sure that these underpasses will be as exciting as the renderings depict - one could point to Queen/Dufferin and King/Shaw as comparables - but they will hopefully be safer brighter and better maintained than they are to day, and that may be good enough.

- Paul

I assume you mean the dark tunnel on Queen at the west side of Dufferin. You don't need to look much further than Dufferin immediately north of Queen to see how they build them now with enough lighting to match outdoor brightness for drivers.

This picture got me thinking that it''ll be neat that the OL Exhibition Station/tracks will be in close proximity or even on top of where the former tracks were for the Liberty Village/John Inglis plant tracks.

Found this album via this picture on railpictures.ca.

Have they released any specifications that speak to platform height and electrification style (i.e. overhead vs third rail)? Is it going to be a low floor LRT height (330mm), is it going to be at a height similar to the O-Train (550mm), the subway (1100mm), or something completely different?

Railway Platform Height Table

Last edited:
Have they released any specifications that speak to platform height and electrification style (i.e. overhead vs third rail)? Is it going to be a low floor LRT height (330mm), is it going to be at a height similar to the O-Train (550mm), the subway (1110mm), or something completely different?

View attachment 497928
Everything they’ve shown thus far(except in the latest rolling stock video) shows overhead catenary.

Have they released any specifications that speak to platform height and electrification style (i.e. overhead vs third rail)? Is it going to be a low floor LRT height (330mm), is it going to be at a height similar to the O-Train (550mm), the subway (1110mm), or something completely different?

View attachment 497928

Not publicly that I know of. Hitachi, as part of Connect 6ix, was awarded the rolling stock contract but they're in a design phase. Ontario Transit Group was awarded the southern stations (DVP to Exhibition) and they're in a design phase.

I can't imagine that the above parties and Metrolinx haven't decided on exact values for this.

IMO, 90% chance the rolling stock is manufactured in Italy from their "Hitachi Rail Italy Driverless Metro" llineup, and will match a spec that they already have jigs for. There is a lot of variation possible in that car design, but the 3m Honolulu model width seems suitable for Toronto too.

Last edited:
Not publicly that I know of. Hitachi, as part of Connect 6ix, was awarded the rolling stock contract but they're in a design phase. Ontario Transit Group was awarded the southern stations (DVP to Exhibition) and they're in a design phase.

I can't imagine that the above parties and Metrolinx haven't decided on exact values for this.

IMO, 90% chance the rolling stock is manufactured in Italy from their "Hitachi Rail Italy Driverless Metro" llineup, and will match a spec that they already have jigs for. There is a lot of variation possible in that car design, but the 3m Honolulu model width seems suitable for Toronto too.

Specs are 1500 V DC overhead lines like REM, Grand Paris Express, etc etc. Platform Height will be high but not sure exact value.

Manufacturing wise Hitachi has a new facility they are building in the NE US

Back