It also strikes me that this is one of those things where just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

At such tight headways, the faintest whiff of a delay, a passenger holding the doors, a mechanical problem, will send delays cascading down the line.
Industry guidelines (UIC Code 406) recommend never exceeding 85% capacity consumption in metro systems for that reason.

... It’s not that they’re going to be running trains every 60 seconds, as that would require more vehicles; but they can run them *that close together* without issues to make up time.
Also during special track movements for maintenance. Here's a SkyTrain video showing single-tracking during a maintenance event. It shows car 312 short-turning (because of heavy loads to downtown TransLink runs a morning rush hour short-turn shuttle train to/from Commercial-Broadway Station), then car 024 entering (not sure of headway since it's edited), but right after car 024 leaves, car 348 is waiting to enter the station (way less than 60s). The info sign shows the next train heading out to King George Station (Surrey). During these events, they usually eliminate the branch off the Expo Line to Production Way and operate a shuttle train to/from Columbia Station).

Last edited:

few drone videos from citynews related to the ontario line
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG

I’m very hopeful that Metrolinx has learned from the Crosstown and other major projects about how to procure better, and that the OL will be a smoother process.

Just maybe, maybe - we’ll see another couple of projects (Sheppard extension and airport extension) that build on those lessons. Practice makes perfect, and continual extensions do help.

I’m very hopeful that Metrolinx has learned from the Crosstown and other major projects about how to procure better, and that the OL will be a smoother process.

Just maybe, maybe - we’ll see another couple of projects (Sheppard extension and airport extension) that build on those lessons. Practice makes perfect, and continual extensions do help.
It's an underrated factor when comparing low cost-of-construction transit geographies (Spain, China etc.)... when you build a lot of transit and keep building it constantly - you get good at it. One hopes we can achieve the same, eventually.

It's an underrated factor when comparing low cost-of-construction transit geographies (Spain, China etc.)... when you build a lot of transit and keep building it constantly - you get good at it. One hopes we can achieve the same, eventually.
This is why it's gutting as a Londoner that all the good engineers and designers who worked on Crossrail are currently in Australia (Sydney Metro, Melbourne Metro Tunnel) or New Zealand (City Rail Link) ... because we're not building Crossrail 2... :(

A long runway of rapid transit projects in the GTHA is really going to help things.

I understand - but I was thinking of a pipeline post these (YNSE, SSE, OL, EWE).
What about the Sheppard extensions East and west that we keep hearing about? I know it’s not announced but it seems close to announcement. Would be nice if they could at least extend line 2 to Cloverdale or Sherway

What about the Sheppard extensions East and west that we keep hearing about? I know it’s not announced but it seems close to announcement. Would be nice if they could at least extend line 2 to Cloverdale or Sherway
The immediate pipeline (promised but not started) is the eastern Line 4 extension from Don Mills to Sheppard East station and the Line 5 extension from Renforth to Pearson. It's not clear to me if the Woodbine GO promise includes the 2-stop extension of Line 6 from Humber College to Finch GO or not.

As long as they build the stations before or during the same time the tunnels are being made then the project should be faster than the Eglinton crosstown. Why on earth they started the stations after the tunnels were made, makes no logistical sense to me

Back