By varying the post-tensioned prestressing of a concrete segmental bridge, it’s possible to get a actual curved shape on-plan. With steel you need to have a series of straight sections at different angles, which requires additional piers and a wider cross section so the track is correctly curved.
View attachment 567969
The steel beams can be roll to fit a curve and piers support as a precast one.

I also happen to think that value engineering creates a vicious cycle: public infrastructure looks…poor…which means that people don’t value it and reduces their pride in the place they live, thus reducing their willingness to spend on it, and….

Then again, I don’t know why I expected more for a project in Toronto. In general I expect the public and private sector to deliver bargain basement - and they consistently do.

There's an inherent beauty in the gentle arch and wide pier spacing that is currently proposed as well. What is being proposed is a great feat of engineering, but then again I'm extremely biased!

The steel beams can be roll to fit a curve and piers support as a precast one.

You're definitely right, but between the concrete and the steel, there's not too much of a difference in aesthetics. We should be vying for a Gordi Howe bridge or a Skybridge from Vancouver for this location. It needs to be iconic for such an iconic and impactful location.

1717073713971.png

Gordie Howe bridge is a different beast, I admit, as it's a cross-border, super wide, long span bridge that needs to be iconic. Also, sufficient clearance is needed below the deck to allow for ships to pass through.

1717073764167.png

If Vancouver can spend the money on amazing architecture for a transit project, I'm sure the case can be made for Toronto as well!

Think about it though... how many people would go out of their way to stare into the Don valley specifically to look at a rail bridge. It's not like it's spanning the harbourfront to centre island. Most of the people who see it will be drivers on the dvp who have more things to worry about than the colour of the bridge. This is not a centrepiece structure and I rather they spend it on making the above ground stations look better
Well an example of what I mean would be the prince edward / bloor viaduct. Most people would know what I am referring too, and would be able to picture it in their head. It is an iconic bridge that was top engineering at the time. Versus don mill overpass. No one know what I'm talking about, as it's a generic overpass bridge. That's what good design does. Same with the colorful new port lands bridges, they Idenfiy a location making it special.

I'm not sure it's so much about people wanting to photograph/view the bridge as it is people wanting to be able to see the skyline of the city behind it. That's a well documented & popular spot for skyline views (yes, even with tourists though they tend to not be first-timers to TO). Though a pretty undercarriage would be nice in those photos were it possible, a cable bridge would majorly detract. It's my understanding the bridge was intentionally designed to be as visually unobstructive as possible.

I'm not sure it's so much about people wanting to photograph/view the bridge as it is people wanting to be able to see the skyline of the city behind it. That's a well documented & popular spot for skyline views (yes, even with tourists though they tend to not be first-timers to TO). Though a pretty undercarriage would be nice in those photos were it possible, a cable bridge would majorly detract. It's my understanding the bridge was intentionally designed to be as visually unobstructive as possible.

That's fair enough! Anything above the deck would be obtrusive when viewed from the Millwood overpass. Here the street view from that bridge:
Screenshot_20240530-123016~2.png

In which case it would be better to go for a concrete arch bridge instead of the balanced cantilever current proposal. Keep the piers where they are and make a pronounced arch. 1 over the DVP, 1 over the river, and the last to get to the other side of the valley.

There's an inherent beauty in the gentle arch and wide pier spacing that is currently proposed as well. What is being proposed is a great feat of engineering, but then again I'm extremely biased!

You're definitely right, but between the concrete and the steel, there's not too much of a difference in aesthetics. We should be vying for a Gordi Howe bridge or a Skybridge from Vancouver for this location. It needs to be iconic for such an iconic and impactful location.

View attachment 567970
Gordie Howe bridge is a different beast, I admit, as it's a cross-border, super wide, long span bridge that needs to be iconic. Also, sufficient clearance is needed below the deck to allow for ships to pass through.

View attachment 567971

If Vancouver can spend the money on amazing architecture for a transit project, I'm sure the case can be made for Toronto as well!
Note that cabled stayed bridges have problems with cables collecting ice and falling and vehicles .

A status update on the Ontario Line Construction is found in this report to the next meeting of TEYCC:

From the above:

View attachment 568024
View attachment 568025
View attachment 568026

View attachment 568027

View attachment 568028

There are additional renders in the report, but I believe they have all been seen previously.
Am I reading this right? No express service until 2026? I thought they needed to replace both sides of the bridges first dont they?

Am I reading this right? No express service until 2026? I thought they needed to replace both sides of the bridges first dont they?

I don't believe so. I think they need 3 operational tracks for the bulk of this area, in order to restore express services. Depending on how one reads the above, that may be plausible in January '25.

But perhaps others will have a different read.

I don't believe so. I think they need 3 operational tracks for the bulk of this area, in order to restore express services. Depending on how one reads the above, that may be plausible in January '25.

But perhaps others will have a different read.
There is this though, Maybe they found room to install all 3 tracks on the new east side bridge?
1717106382912.png

In 2023, Metrolinx referred to a Colliers appraisal report that valued the property at $1.59 million “and that is what Metrolinx is offering, plus an incentive payment of $10,000.00 if Maria signs the Agreement of Purchase and Sale within 30 days.”

An updated appraisal sent to the family in February of this year indicated the value had dropped to $1.455 million.

Both appraisals were based upon a property with 1,764 square feet, but the family said it had advised Metrolinx the property is in fact 2,566 square feet.

I don't have sympathy about the taking, but compensation must be fair. This seems a bit silly, wondering if Metrolinx is only insisting it's a partial taking. The whole property is clearly in the ballpark the family is claiming.

Untitled.png

I don't really understand what the news is here. She says Metrolinx has wrong information, and has a process to provide the right information, get her own appraisal, and recover her costs of that. If that hasn't been done, what's the point of the article? If Metrolinx has gone through that process and is being unreasonable about adjusting their offer if they were wrong, maybe you have a story?

Back