I'd like to see ~$100 million allocated to allow for intersections along those corridors to be reconfigured to have queue jump lanes. That alone would make a huge difference in the quality and reliability of surface routes.

If nothing else, if you can shave 5 mins off a run, that will allow the TTC to either increase frequency at no cost, or adjust the number of buses to reduce the operational costs of that route.

The routes I would include are: Martin Grove, Islington, Jane, Keele, Bathurst, Leslie, Don Mills, Victoria Park, Warden, Kennedy, McCowan, Morningside, Lawrence, Wilson/York Mills/Ellesmere, Sheppard West, and Finch.

That seems like a lot, but keep in mind that we're only talking about intersections, and a lot of the intersections on those corridors are common between both selected corridors.
I agree. I would take it further and create a viva like thing on these routes, with in median stops. Victoria Park and Royal York are other examples of this.

I agree. I would take it further and create a viva like thing on these routes, with in median stops. Victoria Park and Royal York are other examples of this.

Doing a corridor like that though is still $30-$40 million per km. With intersection reconfigurations, we're looking at a few million a pop. I'd much rather see widespread minor improvements, as opposed to targeted large-scale improvements to a couple corridors.

I do see where you're coming from though. I'm just saying starting out with intersection reconfigurations at 40-50 intersections across the City would be a better way to go.

Doing a corridor like that though is still $30-$40 million per km. With intersection reconfigurations, we're looking at a few million a pop. I'd much rather see widespread minor improvements, as opposed to targeted large-scale improvements to a couple corridors.

I do see where you're coming from though. I'm just saying starting out with intersection reconfigurations at 40-50 intersections across the City would be a better way to go.
Makes sense. I just support this because I don't want to do a lrt/subway war again.

Makes sense. I just support this because I don't want to do a lrt/subway war again.

Very true. And doing it this way also means that it can be sort of "under the radar" as the odd intersection improvement here and there. By and large it can be combined with normal road works, and be done whenever it is convenient in the life cycle of the road or other infrastructure associated with it. Stuff like that, much like the purchase of track by GO, seems to fly under the radar much more than LRT, subway, or full BRT projects.

DRL should be a north-south line to provide relief to Yonge same way Spadina-Unviersity does. Last thing Toronto needs is yet another east-west rail line (Sheppard, Eglinton, Finch, Bloor-Danforth...), especially one that overlaps with Danforth... Leave service in the Lakeshroe East corridor to GO.

Do not forget that DRL will be an east-west line through the downtown core. It will curve north east and west of the core.

East-west lines that intersect Yonge north of Bloor may contribute to Yonge overcrowding, but an U or V shaped line that goes directly into the core will relief Yonge to some extent.

When the Bloor-Danforth subway opened for service in 1966, the TTC cut service on the King & Dundas streetcar routes. They thought that passengers would use the new subway to get downtown. They were wrong. The TTC had to increase the number of streetcars to nearly pre-subway levels.

Who would be using the (Downtown) Relief Line? The suburban riders would use it more. The downtown users will continue to use the streetcars currently running, if not more since they would no longer be sharing the ride. Until the next subway shutdown.

I would certainly use the DRL to get around provided it has reasonable stop spacing like I have proposed. Would I use it to get somewhere on Dundas? probably not, I would probably still use the Dundas streetcar. But somewhere on King or Queen? probably.

When the Bloor-Danforth subway opened for service in 1966, the TTC cut service on the King & Dundas streetcar routes. They thought that passengers would use the new subway to get downtown. They were wrong. The TTC had to increase the number of streetcars to nearly pre-subway levels.

Who would be using the (Downtown) Relief Line? The suburban riders would use it more. The downtown users will continue to use the streetcars currently running, if not more since they would no longer be sharing the ride. Until the next subway shutdown.

I don't think Bloor is really comparable, at all, to the DRL. Bloor is nowhere near King and Dundas, whereas the DRL will hit both streets and likely have stops on both streets (at both ends). More people will switch to the DRL than you're implying. Will everyone switch to the DRL? Of course not. But you're minimizing the DRL's importance for downtown riders.

I live in midtown but I still spend most of my day in downtown and I regularly use the Yonge line to get from point a to point b within downtown. I mean sure, the subway isn't vital to the downtowners lives like it is for anyone outside the core, but it is still quite important.

I look forward to the DRL, it will open up parts of the Downtown core to me that I don't travel to often enough.

I look forward to the DRL, it will open up parts of the Downtown core to me that I don't travel to often enough.

For an individual, how rational is looking forward to a project that is at least 10 years away until completion and that will make things so much worse before making them better? For a city/society - sure, why not.

Last edited:
If that was the attitude we had then nothing would ever get done.

I live directly on Eglinton, I expect the next few years will be a mess with the crosstown construction. Doesn't change the fact that I will heavily use and love the Crosstown and new Eglinton Ave once completed. (Unless I move away...)

Why are there still buses in Manhattan if it is covered by subway lines?

busmap.jpg

A short Dundas line from Gerrard Square to Chinatown, and then north to Spadina station would be worth it. With destinations at every stop and further relieving the Yonge line and Union station if your destination were Ryerson, the Eaton Centre, the hospitals, bus station, Chinatown, U of T, etc.

A short Dundas line from Gerrard Square to Chinatown, and then north to Spadina station would be worth it. With destinations at every stop and further relieving the Yonge line and Union station if your destination were Ryerson, the Eaton Centre, the hospitals, bus station, Chinatown, U of T, etc.
If your at Gerrard Square, your very close to the Danforth line. Why not go the extra 1,200 metres to intersect it.

Back