I anticipate the release of the more economic class vehicles from Tesla. It will be pretty cool seeing Teslas on the street on a regular basis.

I anticipate the release of the more economic class vehicles from Tesla. It will be pretty cool seeing Teslas on the street on a regular basis.

I'm already wowed by the number of Model Ss I see around Toronto.

OTOH, I hardly ever see Chevy Volts around... They seem mostly practical but Canadians don't seem interested.

I know one of the requirements when I was buying my car was that I wanted a hybrid. Partly for environmental reasons, partly for economic reasons. I'm hoping that by the time I buy my next car, there will be more options for electric vehicles with extended range (like the Volt). I suspect that I'm not the only one with that line of thinking.

Hybrids use more gasoline in winter. The gasoline engine has to run more longer to generate the heat needed to bring the interior temperature up. It returns to "normal" after running for a time, the colder the exterior the longer it takes.

I'm already wowed by the number of Model Ss I see around Toronto.

OTOH, I hardly ever see Chevy Volts around... They seem mostly practical but Canadians don't seem interested.

they are expensive for a non luxury product, get crappy milage when not using electricity, and only seat 4 people. its a pretty crappy car really.

considering it will be the third most important line upon completion, yes, #3 is appropriate.
Some of the Metrolinx modelling predicts higher ridership than the Bloor-Danforth line.

In the long run, if running right through downtown, and up to Eglinton both ways I wouldn't be surprised if it becomes the number 2 line.

The BD line also serves for short range mass volumes of people. A contiguous walkable retail Bloor/Danforth with residences on compact countless sidestreets.

^i doubt that, TTC ridership numbers are roughly half of the b-d line.

Are these projections for Pape & Danforth to Yonge & King (approx locations) only?

Would you guys prefer a shorter phase 1 of the line, which could be cheaper & faster to build, with extension possibilities later? Or would you prefer a longer phase 1?

I think I would be OK with a shorter phase 1 with the hope that it will be extended north to Eglinton and West along Front/King later, if it means that the line would open sooner.

The only way an extra fee/tax will pass not only the legislature but also the populace in general is if it was divided according to jurisdiction.

The money raised London would stay in London and the money raised in Middlesex would stay in the county. The respective citizens decide where they want their money put whether that be all transit, all roads, or a combination of the two. Just as long as the money is geared strictly towards transportation and not some new school yard or MP favorite pet project which has nothing to do with transportation.

There is no way in hell the people of Ontario are going to tolerate their hard earned tax dollars going 89% towards Toronto's transit needs and nor should they. A very difficult concept for most Torontonians but the reality is that the GTA is still less than half the population of the province.

Would you guys prefer a shorter phase 1 of the line, which could be cheaper & faster to build, with extension possibilities later? Or would you prefer a longer phase 1?

I think I would be OK with a shorter phase 1 with the hope that it will be extended north to Eglinton and West along Front/King later, if it means that the line would open sooner.

It should be continuous building with different opening phases.

It should be continuous building with different opening phases.

Agreed. I'd like to see it phased like Bloor-Danforth was. Build the central section first, but have the outer sections well into construction before the first phase opens.

Just look at Spadina right now. Tunnelling was completed earlier this year, but it's not scheduled to open until 2016. For the DRL, prep the launch shafts on Phase 2 so that they'll be ready to go as soon as the TBMs are finished on Phase 1. You may not even need a launch site if you simply keep tunnelling though. The idea would be that Phase 2 would be ~2 years into construction by the time Phase 1 opens.

Back